Old 12-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default Hard landscaping advice

We ought to amalgamate our hard landscaping areas I suppose. Over the
years we've added bits to the patio etc etc. However all the books I've
read seemed to suggest that you match the house with the paving.

I am not, and never will be, blessed with a design type mind so can
anyone who does have the ability to see things that aren't there,
suggest a material that will go with 1934 Bucks. faded red brick and
hawthorn hedges?
Gravel looks awful, York might be too dear............

All advice gratefully accepted.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
We ought to amalgamate our hard landscaping areas I suppose. Over the
years we've added bits to the patio etc etc. However all the books I've
read seemed to suggest that you match the house with the paving.

I am not, and never will be, blessed with a design type mind so can
anyone who does have the ability to see things that aren't there,
suggest a material that will go with 1934 Bucks. faded red brick and
hawthorn hedges?
Gravel looks awful, York might be too dear............

Clay paviours? Or a suitable quality concrete paviour? Have a look at
Cormaic's site for suggestions.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

I don't mind gravel, though I do prefer paving - preferably herring bone
brick. We have gravel on the path that goes right round our house and it's
good from the pov of having no moss, draining well and acting as a security
warning.
But are brick paths and terracing a possible for you?

Oh yes any reasonably flat surface would be nice, though wouldn't a
patio made out of side angles bricks look a bit much?
I like those pavers but not sure if they aren't' a bit hard on the feet
and difficult to put table and chairs on and keep them level.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Sacha
writes

I don't mind gravel, though I do prefer paving - preferably herring bone
brick. We have gravel on the path that goes right round our house and it's
good from the pov of having no moss, draining well and acting as a security
warning.
But are brick paths and terracing a possible for you?

Oh yes any reasonably flat surface would be nice, though wouldn't a
patio made out of side angles bricks look a bit much?
I like those pavers but not sure if they aren't' a bit hard on the feet
and difficult to put table and chairs on and keep them level.

No harder on the feet than york stone! ;-)

If properly laid, no problems with keeping furniture level. A lot easier
than gravel to push wheelbarrows on.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: