Old 12-04-2004, 08:05 PM
ann

Default blackcurrant bushes

hi ya...can anybody tell me if it is ok to plant a blackcurrant bush in a
container??

Old 12-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Robert

ann wrote:
: hi ya...can anybody tell me if it is ok to plant a blackcurrant bush
: in a container??

I don't know, perhaps someone else does. I would say not because they take a
tremendous amount of feeding out in the open. Nothing to say you can't try
it though and get good results lol

Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
nambucca

"Robert" wrote in message
ann wrote:
: hi ya...can anybody tell me if it is ok to plant a blackcurrant bush
: in a container??

I don't know, perhaps someone else does. I would say not because they take

tremendous amount of feeding out in the open. Nothing to say you can't try
it though and get good results lol

It would need to be a very large container and dont forget you would need to
net it to protect the delicous berries from the birds

Much better to plant in the ground and feed with lots of manure

Old 13-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Kevin Groves

ann wrote:
hi ya...can anybody tell me if it is ok to plant a blackcurrant bush in a
container??

I have. I planted one early two seasons ago. It's first season not much
berry as it was a small plant but last year it prodced quite a bit. It's
already has a load of growth and leaves on it already. I kept an eye on
it as the container is perhaps 19" in diameter. Fed it with some tomato
and fruit bush feed once a week and it is doing well.

Kev,
Old 13-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Michael Savage

"ann" wrote in message
hi ya...can anybody tell me if it is ok to plant a blackcurrant bush in a
container??

Last year I was given a few cuttings of blackcurrant and popped them in a
pot of garden soil - by the end of the summer several had fruit on despite
only being 30cm high or so and only being a single stem. OK there wasn't
more than a dozen fruit on each but it was great. I've now planted them out
(yesterday!) in a well-manured tranch but if it's a choice of in a container
or not at all I'd give it a go, making sure you used good rich
moisture-retentive compost/soil..

Michael S