Old 15-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Oca, chufa and croznes

I have some spare tubers of these, mainly for Cambridge people. The
chufa and possibly oca I could post.

Oca, Oxalis tuberosum, a slightly lemony potato-like tuber.

Chufa, Cyperus esculentus, very small and nutty like coconut and
its inner rind.

croznes, Stachys affinis, a small tuber like white maggots, crunchy
but rather flavourless.

Please ring C. 843232 or reply to this message.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

I have some spare tubers of these, mainly for Cambridge people. The
chufa and possibly oca I could post.

Oca, Oxalis tuberosum, a slightly lemony potato-like tuber.

Chufa, Cyperus esculentus, very small and nutty like coconut and
its inner rind.

Is that the same chufa that they make the drink horchata das chufas from
in spain? Aka tiger nuts?

croznes, Stachys affinis, a small tuber like white maggots, crunchy
but rather flavourless.

That's not the things also called 'chinese artichokes' is it?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

I have some spare tubers of these, mainly for Cambridge people. The
chufa and possibly oca I could post.

Oca, Oxalis tuberosum, a slightly lemony potato-like tuber.

Chufa, Cyperus esculentus, very small and nutty like coconut and
its inner rind.

Is that the same chufa that they make the drink horchata das chufas from
in spain? Aka tiger nuts?

Yes.

croznes, Stachys affinis, a small tuber like white maggots, crunchy
but rather flavourless.

That's not the things also called 'chinese artichokes' is it?

One of a few things, yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Gary Woods

Kay Easton wrote:

That's not the things also called 'chinese artichokes' is it?

There was a glowing article in, I think, Mother Earth News last winter....
I've got several plants to try on the basis of that and a section in
William Woys Weaver's "100 Vegetables" book that I got last summer.

I have regular Jerusalem Artichokes as well; they're native to this area
(Upstate _New_ York) and were a winter food for the original inhabitants.
Those long houses must have been "interesting" on a winter's night.

Old 18-04-2004, 02:15 AM
Gary Woods

Kay Easton wrote:

That's not the things also called 'chinese artichokes' is it?

There was a glowing article in, I think, Mother Earth News last winter....
I've got several plants to try on the basis of that and a section in
William Woys Weaver's "100 Vegetables" book that I got last summer.

I have regular Jerusalem Artichokes as well; they're native to this area
(Upstate _New_ York) and were a winter food for the original inhabitants.
Those long houses must have been "interesting" on a winter's night.

Oca Maurice & Doreen Larcombe[_2_] United Kingdom 4 22-12-2015 04:03 PM
Growing Oca. Bob Hobden United Kingdom 7 04-06-2015 08:51 AM
Oca and Mashua Bob Hobden United Kingdom 5 28-03-2015 09:33 PM
Birds and the Bees and Koi and the... Benign Vanilla Ponds 23 19-04-2004 03:06 PM
oca Alan Stearn Australia 0 09-11-2003 10:02 PM