Old 17-04-2004, 10:56 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Lemon tree very pretty, and......

Hi,

my lemon tree (saw a very interesting bit on Gardeners World last night
about citrus) which appears to be a one year old cutting is now going
quietly berserk.

So much so that I have had to remove one of the large leaves to allow the
new shoots to leap skywards.

This waxy leaf, if crushed, gives off an intense lemony smell.

Which finally brings me to the point :-)

If you can use e.g. Kaffir Lime leaves in cooking, is there any reason why
you cannot use lemon leaves to impart flavour to a dish instead of the zest
of the lemon?

Just that I've never seen them sold in the shops or mentioned in recipes.

Perhaps most places with lemon trees also have abundant lemon fruit so the
leaves are not needed.

Alternatively there may be nasty things in the leaves which can harm you.

However in this climate with a tree not producing fruit yet, a handful of
leaves might make a useful addition to the herb collection.

Stewed apples are particularly nice with lemon zest - perhaps a lemon leaf
instead?

Cheers
Dave R

Old 17-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , David W.E.
Roberts wrote:

I'm growing a lemon tree from a seed (it's about one cenimeter high
now.) would I be better getting a cutting?

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address