Old 18-04-2004, 05:29 AM
David Pearson

Default New wooden railway sleepers?

Hi,

sleepers are useful in the garden, but as the UK's railways
are effectively open sewers, old sleepers are filthy.

Can anyone tell me if new sleepers
are produced from certified sustainably
managed forests ("ethical wood")?

Thanks!
David Pearson

Old 18-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Mike Lyle

"David Pearson" wrote in message ...
Hi,

sleepers are useful in the garden, but as the UK's railways
are effectively open sewers, old sleepers are filthy.

Can anyone tell me if new sleepers
are produced from certified sustainably
managed forests ("ethical wood")?

I believe this country lost most of its stock of railway sleepers
during the disgraceful mishandling of FMD, so apparently we actually
now import used sleepers from eastern and central Europe, and I
imagine they're equally shitty if that really worries you. Brand new
timbers would be very expensive, but as long as they were softwood I'm
pretty sure they'd be from managed forests.

Perhaps making hollow box girders with exterior ply and 3x1 treated
timber might be cheaper. Certainly lighter, and could be made to the
exact dimensions you want.

Mike.
Old 19-04-2004, 12:07 AM
gitfinger

Try here

http://www.kilgraney.com/Index.htm

Old 19-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Mike Lyle

"gitfinger" wrote in message ...
Try here

http://www.kilgraney.com/Index.htm

[...]

I particularly liked

quote/
Welcome to the world of railway sleepers ! Wooden railway sleepers
have been used for centuries
/endquote

Ah, the ancient world of railway sleepers! How many centuries, I
wonder?

Mike.

Old 19-04-2004, 02:10 PM
D Russell

"David Pearson" wrote in message
Hi,

sleepers are useful in the garden, but as the UK's railways
are effectively open sewers, old sleepers are filthy.

Can anyone tell me if new sleepers
are produced from certified sustainably
managed forests ("ethical wood")?

Thanks!
David Pearson

We bought ours brand new, still only £35 each, yes they are softwood, but
being untreated they do not leech nasty chemicals either into the ground or
into our clothes. Mind you I only use them as teh foundation of the
greenhouse, like to see a wind try to blow them away.

Anyway, most good lumber yards will be able to supply new wood suitable to
be used as railway sleepers, and I wouldn't have thought they'd cost much
more than £30 each. Of course make sure you get them delivered, they are
blooming heavy.

Duncan

Old 19-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Michael Savage

"gitfinger" wrote in message

Try here

http://www.kilgraney.com/Index.htm

"David Pearson" wrote in message
Hi,

sleepers are useful in the garden, but as the UK's railways
are effectively open sewers, old sleepers are filthy.

Can anyone tell me if new sleepers
are produced from certified sustainably
managed forests ("ethical wood")?

Thanks!
David Pearson

I recently bought some new oak sleepers from local salvage yard for £10
each! They've gone up to about £15 now but apparently they're cheap cos the
French government subsidised their production from wildblown trees following
a gale last yeat. Sound like a mickey mouse story?

Michael S ( in Derry)