GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fence stain (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/59327-fence-stain.html)

Tim Denning 18-04-2004 08:05 PM

Fence stain

Hi

Hope you can help me out with a question on wood stain.

I have friends in Southampton who would like to re-paint an existing timber
fence. The biggest problem they face is that it was originally painted with
a dark brown stain which has weathered down to a really disgusting mid brown
with bare timber streaks where the timber has moved over the years.

They would like to paint it a lighter colour, but I've told them that it's
highly unlikely to work unless they use a gloss paint, which would probably
look nice for about 5 mins.

My suggestion would be to try and find an opaque deep blue/black stain to
try and cover the patchy wood and act as a contrast to the foliage. Looking
at the Ronseal, Sikkens etc sites haven't yielded any good results.

Does anyone know of a suitable stain or have any better suggestions?

TIA

Tim

jwww 16-06-2004 02:07 PM

Fence stain

"Tim Denning" timdenning@ munge censored :-( blueyonder.co.uk wrote in
message ...
[...]

Coal tar creosote is the most widely used wood preservative in the United
States.

Paul D.Smith 16-06-2004 07:10 PM

Fence stain

[snip]
I've used Ronseal fence/shed preserver on old fencing. I've found it needed
a good three coats to get a uniform colour and you will probably still see
at least dark patches where the old woodstain was.

I found the first coat soaked in as if painting a sponge, the second was
somewhat better and the third went on like one might expect. I did give
each coat some time to dry before starting the next one. I gave up at this
point since I'd reached the desired colour.

If your friend has a panel part hidden, they could always try a small patch
and see how it goes.

Paul DS.