Old 19-04-2004, 03:10 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Recycle builders bag for compost container?

X-posting. Yes, I know I am a bad person :-)

I was just about to order a couple of plastic compost bins from the council
(or at least, the firm that does a discount deal via the council) when my
eyes alighted on a white plastic 1cu metre bag which was used to deliver
sand. I have another one somewhere as well.

Now, with a stout post driven down through each inside corner, a few
drainage holes in the bottom, and the plastic stapled to the stakes, I
should have two nice (well glaring mucky white) containers in which to pile
lawn mowings, prunings, weeds, old container compost etc.

AFAIKT these should be significantly larger than the 330l bins at £16 a pop
(plus £4 delivery in total which makes the bins effectivley £18 delivered to
me).

Not as pretty, and would need a decent cover to keep moist/dry but perhaps
an effecient use of resources?

These bag things are supposed to bio-degrade, so only a solution for a year
or so.

The challenge now is to get 4 stout stakes which will not rot quickly for
under £4 each (which may not be as easy as it first seems, having seen the
prices they charge in the sheds).

So:

(1) any drawbacks to this cunning plan apart from the hideous whiteness? I
do plan to make holes to allow drainage and ingress of earthworms.

(2) suggestions for the best place to obtain 4 * (at least 4' high) 2*2 rot
resistant posts for under £16? Or will just filling the bags (which will not
result in such a neat shape) be an acceptable solution?

TIA
Dave R

Old 19-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Grunff

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

These bag things are supposed to bio-degrade, so only a solution for a year
or so.

Really? Mine don't - they're polypropylene, and will stick around for a
looong time.

(1) any drawbacks to this cunning plan apart from the hideous whiteness? I
do plan to make holes to allow drainage and ingress of earthworms.

Can't think of any.

(2) suggestions for the best place to obtain 4 * (at least 4' high) 2*2 rot
resistant posts for under £16? Or will just filling the bags (which will not
result in such a neat shape) be an acceptable solution?

We get our 5 foot, 4" diameter pressure treated fence posts, complete
with one pointy end from a local timber yard at around £2.50 each.

--
Grunff
Old 19-04-2004, 04:07 PM
bigboard

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
[...]

If the bags are bio-degradeable anyway, why bother with such stout
posts? I would go and get the same poles I use for bean sticks; hazel
poles from a friendly local hedge. I should think poles of an inch in
diameter would hold a builders bag open and would last as long as the
bag itself. And even if you replace them once a year, it's hardly more
than ten minutes work.

Old 19-04-2004, 04:08 PM
shazzbat

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

I think you'll fin they'll last longer than you think, but nowadays there's
no deposit on them, so you can easily get more.

As for supports, I would just get two uprights of the relevant height with
horizontal pieces on the ground like a couple of mini gallows, and a
crosspiece across both of these and threaded through the handles. that will
hold it up and you can throw a bit of old carpet over the top. Pallets are
also not deposit payable nowadays, and therefore easily obtained, and a bit
of carpet from a skip and there you go. Cost = Zero, if you discount your
time and petrol to the local industrial estate. If you come across good
stuff in the skips, you may even make a profit. :-))

Steve

Old 19-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Sue da Nimm

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
X-posting. Yes, I know I am a bad person :-)

I was just about to order a couple of plastic compost bins from the

council
(or at least, the firm that does a discount deal via the council) when my
eyes alighted on a white plastic 1cu metre bag which was used to deliver
sand. I have another one somewhere as well.

We use these for:
1. collecting & storing horse muck until it matures.
2. Storing conifer chippings for a year before using as mulch
3. Storing leaves till they break down.

Haven't used 'em for compost yet - the compost heaps are made of stacked
turves (brilliant!) and old pallets (easier to turn over)

Old 19-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Dogger

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:47:03 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

X-posting. Yes, I know I am a bad person :-)

I was just about to order a couple of plastic compost bins from the council

snip

AFAIKT these should be significantly larger than the 330l bins at £16 a pop
(plus £4 delivery in total which makes the bins effectivley £18 delivered to
me).

snip LB Croydon do them for £5 delivered.
Not as pretty, and would need a decent cover to keep moist/dry but perhaps
an effecient use of resources?

These bag things are supposed to bio-degrade, so only a solution for a year
or so.

The challenge now is to get 4 stout stakes which will not rot quickly for
under £4 each (which may not be as easy as it first seems, having seen the
prices they charge in the sheds).

So:

(1) any drawbacks to this cunning plan apart from the hideous whiteness? I
do plan to make holes to allow drainage and ingress of earthworms.

(2) suggestions for the best place to obtain 4 * (at least 4' high) 2*2 rot
resistant posts for under £16? Or will just filling the bags (which will not
result in such a neat shape) be an acceptable solution?

The best thing would be top get some pallets, the "Gypsum" used for
delivering Breese Blocks ones are best as they some apart easier.
There is loads of them in skips.

Use the Board as the sides of your compost bin and the Bearer as the
uprights. Then just paint with preservative. I have some plans for
the commpost bin and coldframe I made. If you want I will email them
to you.

Old 19-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
2) suggestions for the best place to obtain 4 * (at least 4' high) 2*2 rot
resistant posts for under £16? Or will just filling the bags (which will not
result in such a neat shape) be an acceptable solution?

I would have thought that would be acceptable. Or you could line it with
cardboard boxes which will keep their shape long enough while the plant
material pads down and then will rot to form part of the compost.

Put the bags bang up hard against each other so they support each other.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-04-2004, 11:11 PM
dmc

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

These bag things are supposed to bio-degrade, so only a solution for a year
or so.

Really? Mine don't - they're polypropylene, and will stick around for a
looong time.

Had a couple full of gravel at the bottom of the garden for a few years.
Both have gone very brittle - the one I attempted to empty and move just
crumbled.

I *think* they were from Travis Perkins originally - can't tell now as the
logos are long gone!

Darren

Old 20-04-2004, 11:10 AM
David Hearn

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
[...]

I would almost suggest cutting a large hole in the bottom of them. We had
to put our (open bottomed) composter on a slabbed path and whilst it did
decompose, it was nowhere near as fast as when it was on soil before which
is expected. I'm not sure whether the holes would be sufficient (though I
don't know the size of the holes you're planning) - cutting a large hole in
the base of it (ie. practically the whole bottom) would allow better
drainage and worm migration. Also, we had a right pain emptying our
composter and in the end just lifted it up and it all fell out. Much easier
to deal with then.

David

Old 23-04-2004, 04:10 PM
dmc

In article , Huge wrote:
(dmc) writes:

Had a couple full of gravel at the bottom of the garden for a few years.
Both have gone very brittle - the one I attempted to empty and move just
crumbled.

That's not biodegrading. The UV in the sunlight has destroyed them.

Hmm. Good point. They had turned to dust though. Nasty poisonous dust
maybe

What actually has to happen to something in order for it to have "biodegraded"?
Break down into component chemicals?

Darren

To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 12:10 PM
Recycle builders bag for compost container? - update David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 8 17-05-2004 08:09 PM
Recycle compost - Whats the best method United Kingdom 4 08-03-2004 11:12 AM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 05:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 04:08 PM