Old 19-04-2004, 04:06 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Recycling spent compost

Hi,

just checking whilst on the subject of compost heaps etc.

We grow a lot of annual plants (including vegetables) in pots and tubs.

Each year we discard the compost and replace it with new.

Usually the old compost gets chucked somewhere on the borders to 'improve'
the soil, but ISTM that it would work quite well if mixed with grass
cuttings and other such stuff in a compost heap..

Presumably:

(a) It would help break up the heap and encourage rotting.

(b) the heat would kill any nasties left in the compost after a year outside
in a pot.

Any reason not to do this?

TIA
Dave R

Old 19-04-2004, 09:08 PM
shazzbat

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

just checking whilst on the subject of compost heaps etc.

We grow a lot of annual plants (including vegetables) in pots and tubs.

Each year we discard the compost and replace it with new.

Usually the old compost gets chucked somewhere on the borders to 'improve'
the soil, but ISTM that it would work quite well if mixed with grass
cuttings and other such stuff in a compost heap..

Presumably:

(a) It would help break up the heap and encourage rotting.

(b) the heat would kill any nasties left in the compost after a year

outside
in a pot.

Any reason not to do this?

I can't think of any. We put ours in the compost or dig it in the borders or
whatever. What's nearest?

Steve

Old 20-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Steve Haigh

shazzbat wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

Hi,

just checking whilst on the subject of compost heaps etc.

We grow a lot of annual plants (including vegetables) in pots and tubs.

Each year we discard the compost and replace it with new.

Usually the old compost gets chucked somewhere on the borders to 'improve'
the soil, but ISTM that it would work quite well if mixed with grass
cuttings and other such stuff in a compost heap..

Presumably:

(a) It would help break up the heap and encourage rotting.

(b) the heat would kill any nasties left in the compost after a year

outside

in a pot.

Any reason not to do this?

I can't think of any. We put ours in the compost or dig it in the borders or
whatever. What's nearest?

I kept a load from last year and am now trying to grow carrots in it. My
theory is that they don't like soil with a lot of nutrients in it, so
old compost should be good. Well, we'll see in a few months!

Compost from recycling Granity United Kingdom 35 02-05-2012 04:41 PM
Spent compost Linz United Kingdom 7 10-08-2006 01:31 PM
Spent mushroom compost Bob United Kingdom 6 14-01-2004 07:02 PM
Spent mushroom compost Bob United Kingdom 0 06-01-2004 11:14 PM
compost and recycling gogo United Kingdom 28 09-06-2003 09:10 PM