GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broad beans, when to pick the tops off? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/59507-broad-beans-when-pick-tops-off.html)

Alan Holmes 20-04-2004 07:09 PM

Broad beans, when to pick the tops off?

When does one pick the tops off broad beans to stop the dreaded black fly?

Alan

Therefore 20-04-2004 08:09 PM

Broad beans, when to pick the tops off?

When they look good enough to eat

Steam gently and serve in melted butter ... heaven...

.........................Leslie

Nick Maclaren 20-04-2004 09:08 PM

Broad beans, when to pick the tops off?

In article ,
Alan Holmes see sig for reply address wrote:

When does one pick the tops off broad beans to stop the dreaded black fly?

After planting, preferably. I.e. I haven't, yet. It has been a
MISERABLE spring. It doesn't work, anyway, but the tops are worth
eating.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kay Easton 20-04-2004 10:07 PM

Broad beans, when to pick the tops off?

In article , Alan Holmes alan@holmes-
g4crw.freeserve.co.uk writes

When does one pick the tops off broad beans to stop the dreaded black fly?

When they're tall enough. About 4 bunches of flowers?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Chris French and Helen Johnson 21-04-2004 08:02 AM

Broad beans, when to pick the tops off?

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

When does one pick the tops off broad beans to stop the dreaded black fly?

We never bother, then we never seem to have problems with blackfly.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Trevor Appleton 25-04-2004 11:27 PM

Broad beans, when to pick the tops off?

After planting, preferably. I.e. I haven't, yet. It has been a
MISERABLE spring. It doesn't work, anyway, but the tops are worth
eating.

been warm dry and sunny here

trevor

east Yorkshire.

Nick Maclaren 26-04-2004 09:03 AM

Broad beans, when to pick the tops off?

In article -service-com,
"Trevor Appleton" writes:

| After planting, preferably. I.e. I haven't, yet. It has been a
| MISERABLE spring. It doesn't work, anyway, but the tops are worth
| eating.
|
| been warm dry and sunny here

And here - in mid-April - but I was talking about March, which is
when you would normally plant those things in the south.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.