Old 22-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Michael Bartlett

Default Garden design - paving stone size?

Hi all,

I'm just about to rennovate my 8m (length) x 2.7m (width) little garden.
Just wanted to ask more of a design question with regards to paving stone
size. I'm battling to decide between using 300mm X 300mm or 600mm X 600mm
paving tiles and was wondering what aesthetic effect either would have. I'm
unsure as to wether the 600x600 (which would only essentially be 4 tiles
across) would make the garden look wider because of the wider stones or
wether it will look smaller because of fewer stones. I'm using a grey/green
sandstone paving. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the effect either
would have?

Cheers
Mike

Old 22-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Inge Jones

In article 1082631350.579741@shiraz, says...
Hi all,

I'm just about to rennovate my 8m (length) x 2.7m (width) little garden.
Just wanted to ask more of a design question with regards to paving stone
size. I'm battling to decide between using 300mm X 300mm or 600mm X 600mm
paving tiles and was wondering what aesthetic effect either would have. I'm
unsure as to wether the 600x600 (which would only essentially be 4 tiles
across) would make the garden look wider because of the wider stones or
wether it will look smaller because of fewer stones. I'm using a grey/green
sandstone paving. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the effect either
would have?

Cheers
Mike

Well you might find this an irritating comment if you've already worked
out what effect you want, but I always try to think of things in a
different way. Design shows and magazines are always full of advice of
how to make a North facing room brighter or a South one look cooler or a
high ceiling look lower etc etc. If you haven't already done so you
might try reassessing your goals, and make sure you really do want what
could be a quaint little courtyard to look bigger or more near square,
if going for looking smaller, or longer and thinner, could give the more
interesting effect.

Given your shape of garden, one approach I would consider (amongst
others - I'd draw them out to compare) if it was mine is perhaps to
divide it up into three distinct "rooms", with actual visual barriers or
suggested gateways to pass through to get from one to another. The
middle one could simply be little square pond with paved surround to
choose to pass around it to the left or the right according to mood at
the time, for example. Different choices of route round a garden help
you get involved in the space there is, instead of just noticing how
close the boundaries are.
Old 22-04-2004, 01:05 PM
klara King

Michael Bartlett writes
I'm just about to rennovate my 8m (length) x 2.7m (width) little
garden. Just wanted to ask more of a design question with regards to
paving stone size. I'm battling to decide between using 300mm X 300mm
or 600mm X 600mm paving tiles and was wondering what aesthetic effect
either would have. I'm unsure as to wether the 600x600 (which would
only essentially be 4 tiles across) would make the garden look wider
because of the wider stones or wether it will look smaller because of
fewer stones.

Not sure about the effect of size - but for tiles in kitchens, etc. they
suggest laying the tiles at a 45-degree angle to the wall to make the
floor space look larger, so that might just work for paving as well.

You could try it all out with newspaper squares...
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 22-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Sacha

klara King22/4/04 1:02

Michael Bartlett writes
I'm just about to rennovate my 8m (length) x 2.7m (width) little
garden. Just wanted to ask more of a design question with regards to
paving stone size. I'm battling to decide between using 300mm X 300mm
or 600mm X 600mm paving tiles and was wondering what aesthetic effect
either would have. I'm unsure as to wether the 600x600 (which would
only essentially be 4 tiles across) would make the garden look wider
because of the wider stones or wether it will look smaller because of
fewer stones.

Not sure about the effect of size - but for tiles in kitchens, etc. they
suggest laying the tiles at a 45-degree angle to the wall to make the
floor space look larger, so that might just work for paving as well.

You could try it all out with newspaper squares...

That's a good idea and so is laying tiles 'brick built'. But as a general
rule, I'd say it depends on what effect the op wants. If you want the
garden to look larger, go for the bigger slabs. It's a bit like wall
sconces - people with low ceilings and small rooms tend to buy tiny ones
which make the room look smaller by emphasising it. Longer narrow ones give
an illusion of height and space. Too much 'smallness' in artefacts
emphasises the smallness of a room or garden. But if what is wanted is a
cosy, cottagey courtyard effect, little paving stones would be best.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)