Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Trefor Jones

Default Adding shredder paper to compost heap

Being a bit on the paranoid side I have started shredding things like old
bank and credit card statements, some of them are printouts from a laser
printer or inkjet. Can these be safely added to the compost heap? It seems a
shame to dump all this lovely fibrous material in the bin.

Trefor

Dont reply to this address. Try my first name at btinternet dot com

Old 22-04-2004, 10:05 PM
David Hill

".......... Being a bit on the paranoid side I have started shredding things
like old bank and credit card statements, some of them are printouts from a
laser printer or inkjet. Can these be safely added to the compost heap? It
seems a shame to dump all this lovely fibrous material in the bin ........"

Why not shred newspapers as well and add them mixed with grass clippings to
the heap.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Philip

"Trefor Jones" wrote in message ...
Being a bit on the paranoid side I have started shredding things like old
bank and credit card statements, some of them are printouts from a laser
printer or inkjet. Can these be safely added to the compost heap? It seems a
shame to dump all this lovely fibrous material in the bin.

Trefor

Dont reply to this address. Try my first name at btinternet dot com

Trefor

I have been doing the same for the last 3 months. One of the problems
is that statements and the like are printed on better quality paper
than newsprint. As a result they take longer to start to breakdown.
My statements and credit card vouchers are starting to look stained
now, but it will take some time before they start to look like the
brown crumbly stuff beloved by Alan Titchmarsh and his ilk.
Old 24-04-2004, 05:06 AM
Gary Woods

"Franz Heymann" wrote:

Can one feed the shredded paper to the worms in a wormery, after
wetting it thoroughly?

Yes; works just fine. I got a couple of big bags of shredded stuff from
the (former) workplace's accounting department. Told the finance guy the
worms would, please, like to have accounts receivable.
I wet it by dumping in the worm bin (plywood, with a couple coats of
urethane varnish) and sprinkling with the usual garden watering can with a
"rose" on the spout. Takes several waterings over a couple of days to get
well moistened, but very little effort. Scientific types can weigh the
paper and put it with the proper weight of water in a plastic bag and seal
up for a few days.

Old 25-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Diane Epps

"nambucca" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Franz Heymann" wrote:

Can one feed the shredded paper to the worms in a wormery, after
wetting it thoroughly?

Yes; works just fine. I got a couple of big bags of shredded stuff from
the (former) workplace's accounting department. Told the finance guy

the
worms would, please, like to have accounts receivable.
I wet it by dumping in the worm bin (plywood, with a couple coats of
urethane varnish) and sprinkling with the usual garden watering can with

"rose" on the spout. Takes several waterings over a couple of days to

get
well moistened, but very little effort. Scientific types can weigh the
paper and put it with the proper weight of water in a plastic bag and

seal
up for a few days.

Shredded paper of all kinds in a well mixed compost bin is fine ......just
add lots of buckets of urine the contents will rot down just fine

Also a layer of cardboard between each layer of grass , weeds, manure etc

is
great ......the worms love to make happy families in the layers of

cardboard
Once the compost is turned the whole lot rots down and disapears

I have been adding paper to the compost for years. I avoid the high gloss

magazine stuff as those are the nasty toxic inks. I also add the old oil
from the deep fat fryer which disappears with no trace. Used kitchen towel
is also a good. There is always the eternal argument about rats, but rats
will eat potato peelings apple cores etc so the only solution as I see it is
to have the heap as far from the house as possible and hope the rats stay
where the food is.

Old 25-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Trevor Appleton

I put a black bin bag of junk mail and computer paper on the compost every
week. Crumpled up.

No probs. Aerates the heap wonderfully

Trevor

east Yorkshire