GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Roses are "alive" ..... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/59766-roses-alive.html)

al 24-04-2004 01:04 PM

Roses are "alive" .....

One of my rose bushes has come alive on its stems with little bugs. Are
these greenfly? Do they damage the rose? How best to remove? I sprayed
some fly/wasp spray on them just to annoy them this morning! Hopefully that
won't damage the roses either ;)

Victoria Clare 27-04-2004 05:12 PM

Roses are "alive" .....

"al" wrote in
:

One of my rose bushes has come alive on its stems with little bugs.
Are these greenfly? Do they damage the rose? How best to remove? I
sprayed some fly/wasp spray on them just to annoy them this morning!
Hopefully that won't damage the roses either ;)

No idea if your flyspray will kill aphids (greenfly).

Squish them with your fingers, spray them with a strong hose jet, or anoint
with slightly soapy water. Or stick a bird-feeding station overhead to
attract bluetits.

Oh, and give the roses a good feed/manure and make sure they aren't too
dry. Weak/thirsty plants seem to be much more prone to serious aphid
attacks.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill