Old 24-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Inge Jones

Default Dying rowan in street

Last year, a delivery driver from Wickes stopped his van in a position
where he had to hack off a lump of bark from the rowan tree outside our
house in order to open his van doors. I phoned the council tree
department the same day in case they wanted to come and treat the tree
in some way.

I don't think anyone came out or did anything, but that was early
spring, and the rest of the summer the tree seemed normal.

At the moment, only a small branch the opposite side to the injury has
some green slightly-open buds on it, and the rest still just has the
dark leftovers from last year. The wood on those inactive branches has
a green patina, and up the trunk is what looks like a dusting of white
powder.

Does it sound as though it's had it, or given another year might it
recover?
Old 27-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Victoria Clare

Inge Jones wrote in news:MPG.1af45e0965ccc50098a106
@text.giganews.com:

At the moment, only a small branch the opposite side to the injury has
some green slightly-open buds on it, and the rest still just has the
dark leftovers from last year. The wood on those inactive branches has
a green patina, and up the trunk is what looks like a dusting of white
powder.

Does it sound as though it's had it, or given another year might it
recover?

A bit early to say yet. It could be that the rest of it will be putting on
leaf in a few weeks.

Rowan in my garden shows no signs of life at all yet.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall