Old 25-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Jan

Default Help - Barnet council trying to get our allotments

Hello all,
Barnet council (cons), whom I deplore for many reasons, have just
announced an unbelievable increase in rent for all our allotments with
double rent for non-residents. This is another measure they are
employing to get the land to sell to property developers as it is at a
premium in this borough.
We also have quite a few non-residents who live in inner city areas with
no gardens or allotments, or even green areas. They bring their
children and teach them about growing and working as a community. They
even bring custom to our shops and other services. This will deter them
as travail is already expensive for them and so we will have empty
plots.

Please can anyone with an allotment in London let me know how much rent
you are paying as their excuse is that they are trying to bring us in
line with other London areas.

Also (all allotment holders in England) if this kind of harassment has
been experienced by you what did you do?

There is a high court ruling which says that allotment rents can only be
raised by the same proportion as other council rec facilities but they
are ignoring this as they ignore any kind of feedback or consultation
from the people of this borough. We will go to court if need be.
Hopefully we can get them voted out next election (but then will that
change this land problem anyway!)

Many thanks in anticipation.
--
Jan - Finchley, North London
Old 18-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
[...]

Contact;- National Association of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners
email ,
They will be able to offer some advice and more if your society are members

regards MIKE ,BRIDGEND ,WALES