Old 26-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Jan

Default council and allotments help svp

This might be up twice apologies if it is I must have deleted it
somewhere along the line.
Hello all,
Barnet council (cons), whom I deplore for many reasons, have just
announced an unbelievable increase in rent for all our allotments with
double rent for non-residents. This is another measure they are
employing to get the land to sell to property developers as it is at a
premium in this borough.
We also have quite a few non-residents who live in inner city areas with
no gardens or allotments, or even green areas. They bring their
children and teach them about growing and working as a community. They
even bring custom to our shops and other services. This will deter them
as travail is already expensive for them and so we will have empty
plots.

Please can anyone with an allotment in London let me know how much rent
you are paying as their excuse is that they are trying to bring us in
line with other London areas.

Also (all allotment holders in England) if this kind of harassment has
been experienced by you what did you do?

There is a high court ruling which says that allotment rents can only be
raised by the same proportion as other council rec facilities but they
are ignoring this as they ignore any kind of feedback or consultation
from the people of this borough. We will go to court if need be.
Hopefully we can get them voted out next election (but then will that
change this land problem anyway!)

Many thanks in anticipation.
--
Jan
Old 29-04-2004, 12:08 PM
shazzbat

"Jan" wrote in message
[...]

Well Jan I've been following both here and in rec.gardens.edible, and I'm
astonished at the lack of response. I'd help if I could, but our allotment
is in Dorset, and is not council allocated, but has been provided by a local
landowner since something like 1917. It's administered by a local estate
agent on the landowners behalf, and apparently involves a holding company in
the British virgin islands! Although with only 30-odd allotments at that
rate it can't be much of an earner for anybody.

If you're still interested, it costs £20.00 pa and you can see it here -

http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

Steve

Old 29-04-2004, 12:08 PM
martin

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:10:30 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

If you're still interested, it costs £20.00 pa and you can see it here -

http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

Nice shed, Steve :-)
Old 29-04-2004, 12:09 PM
The Reids

Following up to Jan

Barnet council (cons), whom I deplore for many reasons, have just
announced an unbelievable increase in rent for all our allotments with
double rent for non-residents.

Bexley, £30 IIRC, discount for retired etc. They are trying to
get rid of us too.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 29-04-2004, 12:09 PM
shazzbat

wrote:

If you're still interested, it costs £20.00 pa and you can see it here -

http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

Nice shed, Steve :-)

It's a different shed, the other one wasn't mine, I just love it, it's on an
allotment site in Bournemouth and I'd been meaning to photograph it for
years, every time I see it I'm amazed it's still defying gravity. Then Santa
obliged with a digital camera so there you go.

That other site "ourallotment" is soon(hopefully) going to replace the one
above, which has now decided it's not my site and won't let me in to update
it.

Steve

Old 29-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Jan

In message , shazzbat
writes
Well Jan I've been following both here and in rec.gardens.edible, and I'm
astonished at the lack of response. I'd help if I could, but our allotment
is in Dorset, and is not council allocated, but has been provided by a local
landowner since something like 1917. It's administered by a local estate
agent on the landowners behalf, and apparently involves a holding company in
the British virgin islands! Although with only 30-odd allotments at that
rate it can't be much of an earner for anybody.

If you're still interested, it costs £20.00 pa and you can see it here -

http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

Steve

Thank Steve, it's always interesting to hear what other people around
the country have or pay. Yours seems really nice.
We currently pay £35 and soon to pay £58 (non-res £ £108) no toilets and
also subs on top of that amounting to another £20. My excess produce is
given to elderly neighbours who can't always afford to buy fresh fruit &
veg - so I am helping them to keep healthy and away from the NHS.
Meanwhile our council tax went up by 24% last year and 8% this. Plus we
will end up paying for the money allocated from the GLA for cycle lanes
that Barnet have decided to remove! If I didn't have a small dependent
mother & sister in London I would seriously get out of here :-(
Thanks again.
--
Jan - N. London
Old 30-04-2004, 10:09 AM
jane

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:43:52 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

~Following up to Jan
~
~Barnet council (cons), whom I deplore for many reasons, have just
~announced an unbelievable increase in rent for all our allotments with
~double rent for non-residents.
~
~Bexley, £30 IIRC, discount for retired etc. They are trying to
~get rid of us too.
~
I think folk should write to BBC Gardeners' World. Get Monty on it.
Embarrassing publicity often works...

I'm outside London, in the Chilterns, which is why I didn't reply.
Currently paying £18.50 for 10 poles. (Standard plot)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 04-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jan contains these words:

Thank Steve, it's always interesting to hear what other people around
the country have or pay. Yours seems really nice.
We currently pay £35 and soon to pay £58 (non-res £ £108) no toilets and
also subs on top of that amounting to another £20. My excess produce is
given to elderly neighbours who can't always afford to buy fresh fruit &
veg - so I am helping them to keep healthy and away from the NHS.
Meanwhile our council tax went up by 24% last year and 8% this. Plus we
will end up paying for the money allocated from the GLA for cycle lanes
that Barnet have decided to remove! If I didn't have a small dependent
mother & sister in London I would seriously get out of here :-(
Thanks again.
--
Jan - N. London

Allotmets in rainy Boston are currently £13 per annum but we have been
advised that the price will be going up next year. No indication as yet.

Help - Barnet council trying to get our allotments Jan United Kingdom 1 18-02-2007 06:44 PM
Council closing allotments The Reid United Kingdom 34 19-03-2004 04:05 AM
Council Composters?? MG United Kingdom 5 29-04-2003 07:56 PM
Announcement: American Botanical Council 2003 Medicinal Herb Fest Suzanne Morgan Texas 0 19-04-2003 11:32 PM
Removing Council Owned Trees? Top Cat United Kingdom 44 30-09-2002 02:20 AM