GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedging (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/59988-hedging.html)

Dave 26-04-2004 06:06 PM

Hedging

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a newbie..

I want to plant some hedging to the front of my house so I can get rid of
the net curtains

Its got to be something that will grow fairly quickly, but not something
that could interfere with the walls/foundations, the hedge will butt up to
one of the walls

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dave

ps. the soil is london clay + copious amounts of cat poo

Ed 26-04-2004 07:05 PM

Hedging

Dave none wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm a bit of a newbie..

I want to plant some hedging to the front of my house so I can get rid of
the net curtains

Its got to be something that will grow fairly quickly, but not something
that could interfere with the walls/foundations, the hedge will butt up to
one of the walls

I don't know if it would suit your situation but one thing I could say,
having had the tedious job of cutting a laurel hedge for years, is to put in
various shrubs instead. Once a hedge has grown some, you're usually stuck
with it and it can be a lot of work to maintain properly.

I'd suggest buying the inexpensive p/b Dr.D.G.Hessayon's "Tree & Shrub
Expert" which gives advice on choosing, buying and planting shrubs. Shrubs
give colour, can look great, and pruned individually at your leisure.