Old 27-04-2004, 10:11 PM

Default help - conifer hedge dying

My long established (and well maintained) leylandii hedge which
screens my house from the road has started to develop brown dying
patches. These start by the affected area becoming pale green, then
the leaves seem to wilt then slowly turn brown over a period of 2-3
months.

It has happened before and I am left with a completely dead and
brittle area, but the surrounding growth has resisted ( the wilting
bits never seem to recover) and started to grow and hide the bald
patch.

Anyone come across this before? it doesn't seem cold or wind related
as this current wilting became noticeable late autumn, so I'm thinking
fungal infection maybe?

I posted some pics and more info at the following address:

http://www.landshapes.btinternet.co.uk/temp/conifer.htm

tnx for any advice

Bob

Old 27-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Steve

wrote in message
My long established (and well maintained) leylandii hedge which
screens my house from the road has started to develop brown dying
patches. These start by the affected area becoming pale green, then
the leaves seem to wilt then slowly turn brown over a period of 2-3
months.

It has happened before and I am left with a completely dead and
brittle area, but the surrounding growth has resisted ( the wilting
bits never seem to recover) and started to grow and hide the bald
patch.

Anyone come across this before? it doesn't seem cold or wind related
as this current wilting became noticeable late autumn, so I'm thinking
fungal infection maybe?

I posted some pics and more info at the following address:

http://www.landshapes.btinternet.co.uk/temp/conifer.htm

tnx for any advice

Spider Mite infection I suspect.

Old 28-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Emrys Davies

'Bob',

It may be helpful if you compare your symptoms with those described on
this site.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2004.htm

This site will help you identify the red spider mite, should they be the
culprits.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/pro...es/ctn029.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Emrys Davies

Red spider mite

http://tinyurl.com/2nz6k

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

wrote in message
[...]

Help my husbands shaved the conifer hedge! Sheppard United Kingdom 7 04-04-2013 07:57 PM
Help with Conifer hedge Jeff0901 Gardening 5 03-08-2012 04:57 PM
Conifer - hedge me2intheUK About GardenBanter 0 25-05-2005 06:08 PM
dying conifer? woodcocs Gardening 0 28-03-2005 08:56 PM
conifer hedge clipping uses? kenty ;-\) United Kingdom 8 14-09-2004 10:29 PM