Old 28-04-2004, 07:16 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default what to use for 138 ft boundary between neighbours both sides?hedge or fence.

Hi All , I have just moved in to my new home which has a 225 ft long by 21ft
wide garden.At the house end there is a 87 ft long conifer hedge( nicely
clipped) on the left side & a 87 ft long fence on the right, leaving 138 ft
long of open garden between neighbours, which the neighbours kids like to
play football & cross over my garden.Can anyone suggest what they would use
for the boundary.Fencing ? close board or picket? or plant hedging? what to
use for hedging,I wouldn't want anything that would grow to large/wide &
take up all the goodness from the soil/take all the light.My garden is just
off south facing, the neighbour told me they get westly winds in winter,the
end of the garden backs on to farm land so it is quite a open aspect.
Any suggestions?
--
Thanks Keith,UK.

Old 29-04-2004, 04:09 AM
Dwayne

Hi. I would put up a wire fence and then build an asparagus bed along my
side of the fence. You could also plant several grape vines there. A
garlic bed is another possibility. That way you will realize some fresh
produce from yhour investment.

Dwayne

s.com...

Old 29-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:22:04 GMT, kenty ;-) wrote:

Hi All , I have just moved in to my new home which has a 225 ft long by 21ft
wide garden.At the house end there is a 87 ft long conifer hedge( nicely
clipped) on the left side & a 87 ft long fence on the right, leaving 138 ft
long of open garden between neighbours, which the neighbours kids like to
play football & cross over my garden.Can anyone suggest what they would use
for the boundary.Fencing ? close board or picket? or plant hedging?

Let me offer my usual contrarian advice and suggest that you
completely reconsider your plans. Maybe, just maybe, having the
kids playing across the three gardens is a price worth paying for
the sense of spaciousness you get in the absence of boundary
hedges/fences.

Indeed, since you "just moved in", I urge you to try to live with
the situation for a season and see if it's really as bad as you
think it is.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 29-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Martin Sykes

"nambucca" wrote in message

why not have a mixed hedge

Try looking up 'tapestry hedge' for ideas.
--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 01-05-2004, 09:06 PM
nambucca

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Neatly clipped or not the conifer hedge will strip the soil of everything

Pyracantha looks great thru the winter with berries on and bright green
right now

Escallonia has lovely pink flowers

Variegated Eleagnus look lovely especially when the sun cathes it
Viburnums come in many varieties

All the above are easily controlled and not garden thugs
why not have a mixed hedge