GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   black 'droppings'/poo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60220-black-droppings-poo.html)

Amber Ormerod 29-04-2004 06:09 PM

black 'droppings'/poo

I have just spotted some, whats best to describe as black poo that looks
quite liquid under one of the bird feeders. What could it be? At first I
thought it was bird but its not splatted enough to be that. Its not very
pellety either.

I am in hampshire with loads of hedging nr by.

thanks
amber

Emrys Davies 29-04-2004 07:07 PM

black 'droppings'/poo

Study this site for hedgehog droppings. They are generally black,
otherwise the images are good.

http://www.whh.org/help/dropping/dropping.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Amber Ormerod 29-04-2004 11:09 PM

black 'droppings'/poo

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Study this site for hedgehog droppings. They are generally black,
otherwise the images are good.

http://www.whh.org/help/dropping/dropping.htm

Yes, I think it is. I just went out and there he was.
Ohhh this is soooo cool we never had one of these before!

thanks

Emrys Davies 30-04-2004 01:10 AM

black 'droppings'/poo

'Amber',

I have had a hedgehog visiting my garden for a very long time. I am
quite fascinated by them. I leave it catfood (non fish based) and some
water in a brick tunnel so that the foxes cannot get at it.

I wish you luck with your new friend.

Bob Hobden 30-04-2004 03:06 PM

black 'droppings'/poo

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
I have had a hedgehog visiting my garden for a very long time. I am
quite fascinated by them. I leave it catfood (non fish based) and some
water in a brick tunnel so that the foxes cannot get at it.

I wish you luck with your new friend.

Yes, we fed the hedgehogs one year with the cat food that our two fussy ones
left each day, and guess what, we ended up with another cat. It wasn't the
hedgehogs that was polishing off the food each night, it was a stray. Now
he's the fussiest of the lot!

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Stephen Howard 30-04-2004 03:07 PM

black 'droppings'/poo

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:25:12 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
I have had a hedgehog visiting my garden for a very long time. I am
quite fascinated by them. I leave it catfood (non fish based) and some
water in a brick tunnel so that the foxes cannot get at it.

I wish you luck with your new friend.

Yes, we fed the hedgehogs one year with the cat food that our two fussy ones
left each day, and guess what, we ended up with another cat. It wasn't the
hedgehogs that was polishing off the food each night, it was a stray. Now
he's the fussiest of the lot!

Try putting a plate over the dish of food laid out for the hedgehogs.
It seems that cats and the like aren't up to figuring out that they
have to push the plate off to get at the food.
The hedgehog, however, is the 'Klingon' of the small mammals - and
will simply shove the plate off, climb in the dish, eat most of the
grub, kick the rest around and quite possibly crap in the dish in
appreciation.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Chris Hogg 01-05-2004 04:21 AM

black 'droppings'/poo

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:47:23 +0100, "Amber Ormerod"
wrote:

I have just spotted some, whats best to describe as black poo that looks
quite liquid under one of the bird feeders. What could it be? At first I
thought it was bird but its not splatted enough to be that. Its not very
pellety either.

I am in hampshire with loads of hedging nr by.

thanks
amber

Probably a hedgehog, as others have suggested, but we're getting quite
a lot of black droppings in our garden ATM, mostly solid but some
rather runny. Copious enough to suggest a small/medium dog, but is
probably a badger, as the droppings contain obvious 'bits'. Haven't
investigated further for obvious reasons, but probably beetle casings,
and the grass (couldn't possibly call it a lawn!) has been heavily
scuffed in places. We live in the country, BTW.

--
Chris

Sue da Nimm 01-05-2004 04:22 AM

black 'droppings'/poo

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
Probably a hedgehog, as others have suggested, but we're getting quite
a lot of black droppings in our garden ATM, mostly solid but some
rather runny. Copious enough to suggest a small/medium dog, but is
probably a badger, as the droppings contain obvious 'bits'. Haven't
investigated further for obvious reasons, but probably beetle casings,
and the grass (couldn't possibly call it a lawn!) has been heavily
scuffed in places. We live in the country, BTW.

We have a Vixen who visits every evening.
She leaves presents in the form of black poo-dungs.