Old 29-04-2004, 08:07 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Seeds, and seeds....

Hi,

just paid nearly £2 for some Sunflower seeds.

Paid not a lot for a big bag of bird seed, which contained (amongst other
things) what look like sunflower seeds.

As I refilled the bird feeder I spilled my seed upon the
ground...oooerrr...Onan, stop that!

So I decided to pick out the sunflower-looking seeds and plant them in a
pot.

Looks like they are germinating, so I am now wondering if birdseed is a
cheap bulk seed source - wonder what else is in there :-)

No idea how they will turn out, but I have always wanted to grow sunflowers
but never quite got round to it.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 29-04-2004, 08:07 PM
martin

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:35:28 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Hi,

just paid nearly £2 for some Sunflower seeds.

Paid not a lot for a big bag of bird seed, which contained (amongst other
things) what look like sunflower seeds.

As I refilled the bird feeder I spilled my seed upon the
ground...oooerrr...Onan, stop that!

So I decided to pick out the sunflower-looking seeds and plant them in a
pot.

Looks like they are germinating, so I am now wondering if birdseed is a
cheap bulk seed source - wonder what else is in there :-)

puffpuff hemp :-)

No idea how they will turn out, but I have always wanted to grow sunflowers
but never quite got round to it.

Why are sun flower seeds so expensive, when they are grown by the
billion in France?
Old 29-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Brian

The commercial varieties of Sunflower are grown for their seed and oil
properties. Those you have purchased are most likely garden varieties
supposedly much more attractive than those grown in fields. They might even
be dwarf or nearly double.
Those from the birdseed will be of the field variety.
Best Wishes.

Old 29-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Vicky

Surely, once you've grown your first batch of sunflowers, you need never buy
the seeds again....

Vicky

Old 29-04-2004, 09:38 PM
gitfinger

I grew 2 last year from bird seed - both reached 8 ft with good heads.

Not sure what else is in there but looking out of my window just now......a
lesser spotted woodpecker seems to approve.

Good luck

Git

Old 29-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Looks like they are germinating, so I am now wondering if birdseed is a
cheap bulk seed source - wonder what else is in there :-)

Wheat and flax is what grows under my bird feeders. I usually leave the
flax - it's pretty. I usually leave the wheat too but that's just
laziness.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Sam

"Kay Easton" wrote in
Wheat and flax is what grows under my bird feeders. I usually leave the
flax - it's pretty. I usually leave the wheat too but that's just
laziness.
--

You ought to be careful - a neighbour of ours years ago had a huge cannabis
plant grow up under his bird feeder. The old boy obviously had no idea what

Sam

Old 30-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Brian

I agree that it is pleasant to save seeds but these days there is the
equivalent to PBR via hybrids. These are usually worth their extra cost but
cannot breed true if saved.
The work involved in producing such hybrid seeds is phenomenal especially
when compared with field harvested seeds that were the norm.
Best Wishes

Old 30-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Vicky" contains these words:

"Brian" wrote in message
The commercial varieties of Sunflower are grown for their seed and oil
properties. Those you have purchased are most likely garden varieties
supposedly much more attractive than those grown in fields. They might

even
be dwarf or nearly double.
Those from the birdseed will be of the field variety.

Surely, once you've grown your first batch of sunflowers, you need never buy
the seeds again....

If they were hybrids,which is very likely with ornamental garden
varieties, the seeds won't breed true.

Please don't top-post. There's a weekly abcfornewcomers post which
explains more, you may find it helpful.

Janet

Old 30-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Alan Holmes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Looks like they are germinating, so I am now wondering if birdseed is a
cheap bulk seed source - wonder what else is in there :-)

Wheat and flax is what grows under my bird feeders. I usually leave the
flax - it's pretty. I usually leave the wheat too but that's just
laziness.

I've never thought about what might grow under the bird feeders.

I wonder what we shall find growing in the garden next year.

Alan
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 30-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Bella

"Sam" wrote in a message:
snip
- a neighbour of ours years ago had a huge cannabis
plant grow up under his bird feeder. The old boy obviously had no idea
what it was. One day it dissapeared. Either someone told him - or
snatched it or maybe he put it in his pipe and smoked it.

---
My mother once had a wonderfully weird plant that was eventually identified
as a Thorn Apple, grow at the side of her bird table The guy who did the
identifying hit the roof and wanted to know why on earth my mother was
growing such a dangerous plant, and was she aware just how poisonous the
plant was. He ordered her to destroy it there and then, which she did.

Bella

Old 30-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Alan R Williams

"Bella" writes:

"Sam" wrote in a message:
snip
- a neighbour of ours years ago had a huge cannabis
plant grow up under his bird feeder. The old boy obviously had no idea
what it was. One day it dissapeared. Either someone told him - or
snatched it or maybe he put it in his pipe and smoked it.

---
My mother once had a wonderfully weird plant that was eventually identified
as a Thorn Apple, grow at the side of her bird table The guy who did the
identifying hit the roof and wanted to know why on earth my mother was
growing such a dangerous plant, and was she aware just how poisonous the
plant was. He ordered her to destroy it there and then, which she did.

Isn't a "thorn apple" a Datura/Brugmannsia? They are poisonous but
lots of places seem to be pushing them as decorative plants.

Bella

Alan

--
Alan Williams, Room IT301, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Bella

"Alan R Williams" wrote in a message:
Isn't a "thorn apple" a Datura/Brugmannsia? They are poisonous but
lots of places seem to be pushing them as decorative plants.

---
The Thornapple that grew in my mother's garden was Datura stramonium
(LINN.), also known in America as Jimsonweed and Stinkweed. The whole plant
is poisonous and many fatal instances of its dangerous effects are recorded:
it is thought to act more powerfully on the brain than Belladonna and to
produce greater delirium. I and my brother were very young at the time,
perhaps that is why the plant had to be destroyed.

Have a look at http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/t/thorna12.html

Bella

Old 03-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Paid not a lot for a big bag of bird seed, which contained (amongst other
things) what look like sunflower seeds.

They are.

So I decided to pick out the sunflower-looking seeds and plant them in a
pot.

Looks like they are germinating, so I am now wondering if birdseed is a
cheap bulk seed source - wonder what else is in there :-)

Lots of interesting things, many of which easily sprout. Millet,
buckwheat, barley, flax, safflower, milo (sorghum) and maize are
possibilities.