Old 30-04-2004, 09:02 AM
David

Default Asparagus Beetle - organic remedy ?

Does anyone know a way to get rid of these things without chemicals -
perhaps a way to trap the beetles or to kill the caterpillars ?
Old 30-04-2004, 10:08 AM
D Russell

"David" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know a way to get rid of these things without chemicals -
perhaps a way to trap the beetles or to kill the caterpillars ?

The only solution I hav eever foudn which works is to place mats, or paper
under the asparagus and then shake them, it's either that or finger and
thumb to squish them individually.

I wonder if the yellow sticky traps would be any good, hmm could put them
down instead of the paper then any that landed on it would be instantly
trapped. Have to find somewhere to hide the yellow stickies though, since
they tend to kill so many beneficial insects too.

Sorry, stopped rambling now.

Duncan

Old 04-05-2004, 10:07 PM
gary davis

On 4/30/04 12:19 AM, in article
, "David"
wrote:

Does anyone know a way to get rid of these things without chemicals -
perhaps a way to trap the beetles or to kill the caterpillars ?

The asparagus beetle is similar in colouring to the lady bug but where
the lady bug is round the asparagus beetle is elongated.
I have had my asparagus patch for several years and have watched with
interest for any natural predators. The only one that I can say I saw eating
the asparagus beetle was the lady bug.
At that time there were two (lady bugs) on my plants and they ate the
eggs and the smaller larvae. I watched them as they bypassed a larger
larvae. I was hoping they would eat them also but maybe they were leaving
them for the wasps...I have heard that they will eat larvae. I have never
seen that happen...maybe tomorrow.
I hand pick them off using the two handed method. The defensive
mechanism of the asparagus beetle is to leap off the plant and fall to the
lower branches when they see a hand approaching. They will also go to the
other side of the plant (sneaky little devils) and hide behind the vertical
branch.
So I bring one hand from the top down to where they are and slide my
other hand under their location. They jump off onto my lower hand landing,
very often, on their backs. Their tummies are black and should they be able
to reach the ground the black tummies are not as visible as their spotted
backs. (not only are they sneaky, they are smart).
Once on my lower hand I squish them...ugh, took me awhile to get used to
doing that. I find that if your lower hand is wet they seem to stick to it
and allows more time to squish them. (Their wings stick to the wetness).
They will sometimes right themselves and fly off so a wet hand keeps them
there longer.
If you have a problem 'squishing' them, try this. Wet your lower hand
then grab some dirt, squishing them with dirt on your hand may make it
easier. Keep your fingers together as they will try to fall through to the
ground.
Ground beetles are predators, so I have heard, although I have never
seen them eating any adult asparagus beetles. I can only hope they do.
I won't use any chemicals as I don't want to inadvertently kill any
predators that may be around that I don't know about. (It's not what I know
about predators that worries me, it's what I don't know!).
I sometimes find the odd lady bug when I'm out and about. I keep a small
baby food jar in my car so I can transport them home.
"Welcome to my asparagus," little bug! "You'll be safe here"! I don't
tell them about the birds...don't want to ruin their lunch!
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada