GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dried up bamboo plant (outside)UK (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60419-dried-up-bamboo-plant-outside-uk.html)

Tone 02-05-2004 07:07 PM

Dried up bamboo plant (outside)UK

Help !
My Bamboo plant has dried up but still has a couple of green leaves on
and a few green shoots.
How is the best way to revive it ?
It is supposed to like shade so it has been in the shade since we
bought it.
Cheers in advance. ;)

Nick Maclaren 02-05-2004 09:08 PM

Dried up bamboo plant (outside)UK

In article ,
Tone wrote:
Help !
My Bamboo plant has dried up but still has a couple of green leaves on
and a few green shoots.
How is the best way to revive it ?
It is supposed to like shade so it has been in the shade since we
bought it.

Water it? Seriously. Many bamboos will respond to drying up by
sulking for ages, but will eventually revive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

nambucca 03-05-2004 12:05 AM

Dried up bamboo plant (outside)UK

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Tone wrote:
Help !
My Bamboo plant has dried up but still has a couple of green leaves on
and a few green shoots.
How is the best way to revive it ?
It is supposed to like shade so it has been in the shade since we
bought it.

Water it? Seriously. Many bamboos will respond to drying up by
sulking for ages, but will eventually revive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Agreed .......Bamboos need lots of water

Mike Lyle 03-05-2004 12:05 AM

(Tone) wrote in message om...
Help !
My Bamboo plant has dried up but still has a couple of green leaves on
and a few green shoots.
How is the best way to revive it ?
It is supposed to like shade so it has been in the shade since we
bought it.
Cheers in advance. ;)

They hate dehydration: if you haven't planted it already, I fear the
worst. The green shoots sound encouraging, though. I think they all
want good moisture-retentive but well-drained soil, and a bit of shade
on the root-run would be good; though its head needs to be in good
light.

Mike.

Tone 03-05-2004 10:05 AM

Dried up bamboo plant (outside)UK

Thanks for the info people !

I will be out with the watering can later. :)

David Hill 03-05-2004 10:05 AM

Dried up bamboo plant (outside)UK

If it's really dry then try adding a couple of drops of washing up liquid to
the water, it will help it penetrate the dry compost.
If you can soak the pot in a bucket or something it would be better than
just pouring water over it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries