Old 03-05-2004, 07:04 PM
shez

Default nettles

We have an old garden that has almost been taken over by nettles. We
want to kill the nettles but not the grass. Will SBK do this, please?
Also I remember reading that one of the herbicides degrades to
fertiliser, is this correct, and is it SBK?
Thanks for your help
Shez
Old 03-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Brian

SBK will kill nettles and grass. However the nettles will not survive mowing
on a regular basis.
Nettles are a good indication of a very fertile soil.
Introduced [allegedly] by the Romans for their fibres that make a coarse
cloth. The fibres are rough to handle and hence the story of the Princess
who had to weave coats for her brothers to change them from swans etc.
Best Wishes Brian

om...

Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Brian
writes
SBK will kill nettles and grass. However the nettles will not survive mowing
on a regular basis.
Nettles are a good indication of a very fertile soil.

Nettles are also excellent for adding fertility to soil, composted,
mulched or infused. See urg nettle FAQ at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
shez wrote:
We have an old garden that has almost been taken over by nettles. We
want to kill the nettles but not the grass. Will SBK do this, please?
Also I remember reading that one of the herbicides degrades to
fertiliser, is this correct, and is it SBK?

No. There are such chemicals, but you can't buy them without being
locked up without seeing a lawyer (semi-seriously). You can kill
them with glyphosate, but that will kill the grass. Otherwise,
mowing will kill them, but you may have to use glyphosate where you
can't get the mower or dig them up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Sue da Nimm

"shez" wrote in message
om...
We have an old garden that has almost been taken over by nettles. We
want to kill the nettles but not the grass. Will SBK do this, please?
Also I remember reading that one of the herbicides degrades to
fertiliser, is this correct, and is it SBK?
Thanks for your help
Shez

A better option is just to mow them. I'd also leave them and allow the grass
to grow through the mulch.
After repeated mowing they will stop appearing. (Did this on a half-acre
plot full of bramble and nettle. The nettles succumbed easily, the brambles
kept trying to show for a couple of years. Now they're only a problem if we
dig a bed - full of dead bramble roots!)

Old 06-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Emery Davis

On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:16:51 +0100, "Brian" said:

] SBK will kill nettles and grass. However the nettles will not survive mowing
] on a regular basis.
] Nettles are a good indication of a very fertile soil.
] Introduced [allegedly] by the Romans for their fibres that make a coarse
] cloth. The fibres are rough to handle and hence the story of the Princess
] who had to weave coats for her brothers to change them from swans etc.
[]

Brian,

Around here the word is that the Romans beat their legs with nettles
in order to stay warm and improve circulation. Tough fellows, those
Romans...

I agree, mowing works a treat. Of course every serious organic
gardener keeps a nettle patch, right?

Recently I tasted a bottle of a sort of "nettle cider," apparently an
old-time drink. The brewer used to be in the commercial nettle
supply and garden spray business, so I guess he's got plenty to
work with. Not half bad, but perhaps not all good, either.

-E

-E

--
Emery Davis