GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ants everywhere! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60574-ants-everywhere.html)

flower faerie 04-05-2004 04:10 PM

ants everywhere!

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

martin 04-05-2004 04:10 PM

ants everywhere!

On Tue, 04 May 2004 15:10:30 +0100, flower faerie
wrote:

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

Move to the Yorkshire Dales? :-)

Sacha 04-05-2004 04:11 PM

ants everywhere!

flower faerie4/5/04 3:10

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

Some people say that using a powder like Vim or Ajax sprinkled over the area
will work. Now I'm wondering if such things are still made!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

flower faerie 04-05-2004 04:11 PM

ants everywhere!

Sacha wrote:

flower faerie4/5/04 3:10

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

Some people say that using a powder like Vim or Ajax sprinkled over the area
will work. Now I'm wondering if such things are still made!

I don't really want to spread chemicals around the place. I'd rather
live with them! I was hoping somebody knew of a natural deterrent or
something that the little loves hate so much they pack their bags and
migrate next door ;)

martin 04-05-2004 04:11 PM

ants everywhere!

On Tue, 04 May 2004 15:55:19 +0100, flower faerie
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

flower faerie4/5/04 3:10

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

Some people say that using a powder like Vim or Ajax sprinkled over the area
will work. Now I'm wondering if such things are still made!

I don't really want to spread chemicals around the place. I'd rather
live with them! I was hoping somebody knew of a natural deterrent or
something that the little loves hate so much they pack their bags and
migrate next door ;)

Nowadays Vim seems to be a software product and Ajax is the Amsterdam
football team.
What about Jif or Cif or whatever it's called nowadays?

Sacha 04-05-2004 05:12 PM

ants everywhere!

martin4/5/04 3:59
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

In powder form?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Sacha 04-05-2004 05:12 PM

ants everywhere!

flower faerie4/5/04 3:55

Sacha wrote:

flower faerie4/5/04 3:10

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

Some people say that using a powder like Vim or Ajax sprinkled over the area
will work. Now I'm wondering if such things are still made!

I don't really want to spread chemicals around the place. I'd rather
live with them! I was hoping somebody knew of a natural deterrent or
something that the little loves hate so much they pack their bags and
migrate next door ;)

Ah! You mean you're looking for an ant-idote. ;-)
If you can live with them I don't think they do a great deal of harm and
they're not harmful to humans, though I think they can give a bit of a nip!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

martin 04-05-2004 05:12 PM

ants everywhere!

martin4/5/04 3:59
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Not that I know of. It depends if it's the grittiness or the chemicals
in the stuff that do the trick. We used Jif to remove green
mould/algae from the wood work on our boat, for years until I realised
that it was just the bleach in the stuff that was doing the trick.

martin 04-05-2004 05:12 PM

ants everywhere!

On Tue, 04 May 2004 16:18:25 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

flower faerie4/5/04 3:55

Sacha wrote:

flower faerie4/5/04 3:10

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

Some people say that using a powder like Vim or Ajax sprinkled over the area
will work. Now I'm wondering if such things are still made!

I don't really want to spread chemicals around the place. I'd rather
live with them! I was hoping somebody knew of a natural deterrent or
something that the little loves hate so much they pack their bags and
migrate next door ;)

Ah! You mean you're looking for an ant-idote. ;-)

:-)
If you can live with them I don't think they do a great deal of harm and
they're not harmful to humans, though I think they can give a bit of a nip!

In Oz they used camphor/moth balls to get rid of ants. I found the
ants preferable to the stink of camphor.

Paul Anderson 04-05-2004 05:13 PM

ants everywhere!

"flower faerie" wrote in message
Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

We have found that Talcum Powder does the trick. It's not totally chemical
free but I guess it's much less damaging than other powders suggested here!

Paul.

Tumbleweed 04-05-2004 07:06 PM

ants everywhere!

Sacha wrote:

flower faerie4/5/04 3:10

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

Some people say that using a powder like Vim or Ajax sprinkled over the

area
will work. Now I'm wondering if such things are still made!

I don't really want to spread chemicals around the place. I'd rather
live with them! I was hoping somebody knew of a natural deterrent or
something that the little loves hate so much they pack their bags and
migrate next door ;)

What sort of 'natural deterrent' that isnt a chemical are you planning to
use?
I suppose gas plasma from the sun or EM radiation are natural and not
chemicals, but other than that I suggest you are unlikely to find something
that isnt a chemical.

FWIW gas plasma from the sun would definitely encourage them to migrate, but
might have a deleterious effect upon the neighbourhood, and according to
what I remember of the 1950's film 'them', EM radiation would cause them to
grow to 10ft long so I wouldnt recommend that.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

David Hill 04-05-2004 11:08 PM

ants everywhere!

"..... I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live somewhere
else like in the flower borders. Also I don't want to put down ant powder.
......"
the only answer would be to grass the flower beds over and to turn your lawn
into flower beds..........and then they would only move to your new lawn.
They wouldn't like the disturbance of weeding, digging and hoeing.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

David Hill 04-05-2004 11:08 PM

ants everywhere!

"........... We have found that Talcum Powder does the trick. It's not
totally chemical free but I guess it's much less damaging than other powders
suggested here! ........"

I always thought that you bought talk as presents for your Aunts, and not
your Ants.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Franz Heymann 04-05-2004 11:09 PM

ants everywhere!

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message

"flower faerie" wrote in message
Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not

mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to

put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

We have found that Talcum Powder does the trick. It's not totally

chemical
free but I guess it's much less damaging than other powders

suggested here!

Talcum powder, like any solid, liquid or gas is a chemical. What on
earth is all this paranoia about "chemicals"?
As far as I know, talcum is just finely divided Mg3 (OH)2 Si4 O10.

The other powders which have been suggested here were Vim and Ajax. I
may be wrong, but I think both of them are just powdered chalk.

Franz

Alan Holmes 06-05-2004 07:09 PM

ants everywhere!

Sacha wrote:

flower faerie4/5/04 3:10

Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer not to
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

Some people say that using a powder like Vim or Ajax sprinkled over the

area
will work. Now I'm wondering if such things are still made!

I don't really want to spread chemicals around the place. I'd rather
live with them! I was hoping somebody knew of a natural deterrent or
something that the little loves hate so much they pack their bags and
migrate next door ;)

So, you don't like your neighbours then?

One thing you could try, don't know if it would work, is urine, it would
discourage me so it might work on ants.

Alan