Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
les

Default Woodlice in Pots

I have just emptied out some pots in which I had spring flowering plants,
(daffodils and primula). I found lots of woodlice in the compost. Do these
woodlice damage the plants? Do they eat the roots? Is it safe to use the
compost in the garden?

Your help would be appreciated.

Les

Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Vicky

" I have just emptied out some pots in which I had spring flowering plants,
(daffodils and primula). I found lots of woodlice in the compost. Do these
woodlice damage the plants? Do they eat the roots? Is it safe to use the
compost in the garden?

Your help would be appreciated.

Les

Not an answer but adding to the query. I am overrun with the little
b*ggers and they have a lovely habit of eating things so that you don't
realise they've done it. I had a load of strawbs and mange tout once and
they ate them from behind. Didn't notice until I'd grabbed them first -
euggh!

I use nippon to good effect to stop them coming in my house and, contrary to
popular belief - or at least advice I've had in the past - they do cause
damage in some things as above. Perhaps this around pots would help. I did
consider sprinkling some under my newly established growbags but, looking
out at today's horizontal rain, that would have been a waste of time.

However, the waterbuts I moved at the w/e are now full again! Water not
woodies!

BTW the Isle of Wight has a unique species of soft-bodied woodlice and did
you know that there are several different species? Anorak points for the
day I think :-)

Vicky

Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:08:42 +0100, les wrote:

Do these woodlice damage the plants?

No.

Do they eat the roots?

No.

Is it safe to use the compost in the garden?

Absolutely.

--
Tim C.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:24:56 +0100, Vicky wrote:

contrary to
popular belief - or at least advice I've had in the past - they do cause
damage in some things as above.

I think the popular belief is that they *do* cause damage. And you're right
of course, popular belief is more or less wrong.
Just because you get woodlice on damaged plants in no way means that they
cause the damage. I'm sure if you look constantly that they don't cause
much, if any new damage to your strawbs. They were probably bruised or
eaten by slugs first, then the woodies moved in.

BTW the Isle of Wight has a unique species of soft-bodied woodlice

I didn't know that. All the more reason not to kill them.

and did you know that there are several different species?

Around 30 in the British Isles, I think.

--
Tim C.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:14 PM
flower faerie

les wrote:

I have just emptied out some pots in which I had spring flowering plants,
(daffodils and primula). I found lots of woodlice in the compost. Do these
woodlice damage the plants? Do they eat the roots? Is it safe to use the
compost in the garden?

Your help would be appreciated.

Les

I have woodlice in my pots too but the plants are fine. Woodlice like
to live in dark areas so they crawl up into the pots from underneath,
standing the pots on trays may help. I like to live with them, humans
find it all too easy to kill everything that moves by spraying chemicals
everywhere.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Vicky

I think the popular belief is that they *do* cause damage. And you're

right
of course, popular belief is more or less wrong.
Just because you get woodlice on damaged plants in no way means that they
cause the damage. I'm sure if you look constantly that they don't cause
much, if any new damage to your strawbs. They were probably bruised or
eaten by slugs first, then the woodies moved in.

I'll keep an eye out this year and see if you're right! If so, I shall
publicly vindicate the woodies!

BTW the Isle of Wight has a unique species of soft-bodied woodlice

I didn't know that. All the more reason not to kill them.

Trust me - they are far from endangered here. In fact, they are under
everything in my garden and my neighbour has been thoroughly raided to the
point that they are under all her living room furniture. Hence I feel not
the slightest bit of guilt at scattering nippon all over the edging under
the carpet by my front and back doors. It seems to do the trick.

My son used to eat them when he was a toddler - this was prior to the nippon
introduction BTW!

Vicky - looking forward to the earwig invasion shortly - not!

Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Vicky wrote:

Trust me - they are far from endangered here. In fact, they are under
everything in my garden and my neighbour has been thoroughly raided to the
point that they are under all her living room furniture. Hence I feel not
the slightest bit of guilt at scattering nippon all over the edging under
the carpet by my front and back doors. It seems to do the trick.

Both you and she might find it more useful to deal with your damp
problems than poison the indicators.

My son used to eat them when he was a toddler - this was prior to the nippon
introduction BTW!

Then why deprive him of such natural nourishment?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Kay Easton

In article , les
writes
I have just emptied out some pots in which I had spring flowering plants,
(daffodils and primula). I found lots of woodlice in the compost. Do these
woodlice damage the plants? Do they eat the roots? Is it safe to use the
compost in the garden?

Most gardens are full of woodlice. The few you add from the pot are not
going to make any difference.

AFAIK they eat dead stuff rather than live stuff.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Vicky
writes
BTW the Isle of Wight has a unique species of soft-bodied woodlice and did
you know that there are several different species? Anorak points for the
day I think :-)

Different genera too, aren't they? The ones that curl up vs the ones
that don't.

And they're crustacea, so related to prawns ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Vicky

and back doors. It seems to do the trick.

Both you and she might find it more useful to deal with your damp
problems than poison the indicators.

Again - trust me - my house is not damp. It's a common problem in the area.
I am rather fond of woodlice and have referred to them as baby armidillos
since childhood but I either put down nippon or they take over my house and
I prefer the former option. They have very comfortable residence in the
compost heaps at present. Perhaps the problem is the fact that we are
surrounded by trees.

My son used to eat them when he was a toddler - this was prior to the

nippon
introduction BTW!

Then why deprive him of such natural nourishment?

He's 9 now and hideously embarrassed when I remind him of this fact!

Vicky

Old 04-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Franz Heymann

"les" wrote in message
I have just emptied out some pots in which I had spring flowering

plants,
(daffodils and primula). I found lots of woodlice in the compost. Do

these
woodlice damage the plants? Do they eat the roots? Is it safe to use

the
compost in the garden?

Your help would be appreciated.

Woodlice are on the side of the angels.

Franz

Old 04-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Franz Heymann

"Vicky" wrote in message

" I have just emptied out some pots in which I had spring flowering

plants,
(daffodils and primula). I found lots of woodlice in the compost.

Do these
woodlice damage the plants? Do they eat the roots? Is it safe to

use the
compost in the garden?

Your help would be appreciated.

Les

Not an answer but adding to the query. I am overrun with the

little
b*ggers and they have a lovely habit of eating things so that you

don't
realise they've done it. I had a load of strawbs and mange tout

once and
they ate them from behind. Didn't notice until I'd grabbed them

first -
euggh!

You are talking nonsense. Woodlice do not eat live plant material.
They are one of the essential animals which participate in converting
plant material to compost.

I use nippon to good effect to stop them coming in my house and,

contrary to
popular belief - or at least advice I've had in the past - they do

cause
damage in some things as above.

No.
Are you sure you know what a woodlouse is?

[snip]

Franz

Old 05-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Vicky

You are talking nonsense. Woodlice do not eat live plant material.
They are one of the essential animals which participate in converting
plant material to compost.

I use nippon to good effect to stop them coming in my house and,

contrary to
popular belief - or at least advice I've had in the past - they do

cause
damage in some things as above.

No.
Are you sure you know what a woodlouse is?

[snip]

Franz

Yes thank you very much and are you sure you need to be rude about it!
Perhaps you should try moving a curtain or pieceof furniture in your house
and having dozens and dozens of the things scrambling about. I could send
you some samples if you like as I have plenty to spare... :-)

Vicky

Old 05-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 4 May 2004 17:02:00 +0100, Vicky wrote:

My son used to eat them when he was a toddler - this was prior to the nippon
introduction BTW!

I think I did that as well. :-)
--
Tim C.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:06:18 +0100, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Vicky
writes
BTW the Isle of Wight has a unique species of soft-bodied woodlice and did
you know that there are several different species? Anorak points for the
day I think :-)

Different genera too, aren't they? The ones that curl up vs the ones
that don't.

And they're crustacea, so related to prawns ;-)

Yes, iirc, they're the only truly terrestrial crustacea. Others still need
water to breed, like land crabs.
--
Tim C.

Homemade Compost full of woodlice: ok 2 use in pots? sam United Kingdom 9 27-06-2006 10:45 AM
Woodlice and now also earwigs More to Wiggle United Kingdom 11 02-07-2003 06:09 PM
Woodlice Adam Powell United Kingdom 2 01-07-2003 01:35 PM
Woodlice - good or bad? Sharon Hughes United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 10:44 PM
Composters and Woodlice JP United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 06:08 PM