GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60576-re-blight-report-service-how-bad-tomato-blight.html)

Steve Harris 04-05-2004 04:10 PM

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?)

Thanks for the response to this.

I'm wondering, can we use the power of this Internet thingy to provide
early warning service? Here's how it might work:

- I set up a mailing list (say)
- Those growing toms/pots in the open join
- Anyone getting blight in their garden posts "I've got blight and I
live in (name of town).
- Nearby gardeners rush out and spray their plants with the potion of
their choice.
- All free of charge
- List is STRICTLY for blight reports. No wibble

What do you think?

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

martin 04-05-2004 04:11 PM

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?)

On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:43 +0100 (BST), (Steve Harris)
wrote:

Thanks for the response to this.

I'm wondering, can we use the power of this Internet thingy to provide
early warning service? Here's how it might work:

- I set up a mailing list (say)

- Those growing toms/pots in the open join
- Anyone getting blight in their garden posts "I've got blight and I
live in (name of town).
- Nearby gardeners rush out and spray their plants with the potion of
their choice.
- All free of charge
- List is STRICTLY for blight reports. No wibble

What do you think?

Why not just post to urg?

Steve Harris 04-05-2004 05:14 PM

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?)

In article ,
(martin) wrote:

Why not just post to urg?

There are advantages to a narrow list. You can spot a blight warning
easier if it's not stuck in with a fox hunting or even anti-slug
ranting.

martin 04-05-2004 05:14 PM

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?)

On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:51 +0100 (BST), (Steve Harris)
wrote:

In article ,

(martin) wrote:

Why not just post to urg?

There are advantages to a narrow list. You can spot a blight warning
easier if it's not stuck in with a fox hunting or even anti-slug
ranting.

Not if you aren't subscribed to the list.

Derek Turner 04-05-2004 06:04 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the response to this.

I'm wondering, can we use the power of this Internet thingy to provide
early warning service? Here's how it might work:

- I set up a mailing list (say)

- Those growing toms/pots in the open join
- Anyone getting blight in their garden posts "I've got blight and I
live in (name of town).
- Nearby gardeners rush out and spray their plants with the potion of
their choice.
- All free of charge
- List is STRICTLY for blight reports. No wibble

What do you think?

I think you'd be re-inventing the wheel! There is already an alert
system which is intended for commercial growers of potatos which has a
blight-alert service. You have to sign up but it didn't mind when I
said I grew 0.02 acres of spuds! Alerts come by email and SMS to your
mobile phone. Based on post-code it warns you if your local conditions
are right for blight (something called a 'Smith period') which IIRC is
a certain minimum temp/humidity for 48hrs. As someone said in another
thread, last year was exceptionally good and no smith periods were
reported for my area (just a couple of near misses).

http://www.potatocrop.com/

hth Derek