GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flat Poll Cabbage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60625-flat-poll-cabbage.html)

Fudge 05-05-2004 04:08 AM

Flat Poll Cabbage

I received seeds for flat poll cabbage from a Cornish gentleman in the
fall of 2003. This is a heirloom variety originally developed my the Miln
Seed company in 1917. Here in Eastern Ontario, I usually plant my late or
winter cabbage on 15 July so they mature in cool weather. Since the flat
poll cabbage can grow up to 50 lbs, I am concerned it will not reach full
size before hard frost and winter snow. If I start these cabbages too soon,
they may split or suffer from diseases etc. I need some guidance in the care
and feeding of the flat poll cabbage. I hope they will be good winter fodder
for my flock of chickens and perhaps make a good quality sauerkraut. I have
a limited amout of seed so I should get it right the first time.

Farmer John