Old 05-05-2004, 09:05 PM
lord0

Default Ooh la la - help an ex pat - Plant identification required

Hi there,

My father has recently moved to nr Villeneuve in France (now I know that's
not exactly uk.rec.gardening but hey, I like you guys ;-)) . He's got a bit
of land. We can't identify two of the plants. Anyone help?

John Doe #1
http://ltierney.demon.co.uk/images/May03056.JPG

John Doe #2
http://ltierney.demon.co.uk/images/May03058.JPG

Cheers

Lawrence

Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Phil Day

"lord0" wrote in message
Hi there,
We can't identify two of the plants. Anyone help?

John Doe #1
http://ltierney.demon.co.uk/images/May03056.JPG

Dont know

John Doe #2
http://ltierney.demon.co.uk/images/May03058.JPG

This is a Liriodendron, also known as a Tulip Tree. See here
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&sa=N&tab=wi

Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 PM
David Hill

First one looks like Rhubarb flowers.
the second is Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip tree).

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Brian

No. 1
The inflorescence of a palm. Most likely Phoenix dactylifera. If the
flowers develop waxy petals then it is male.
No. 2
Liriodendron. Tulip tree. A good looking specimen.
Best Wishes. Brian.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Kay Easton

In article , lord0 ltierney@lti
erney.demon.co.uk writes
Hi there,

My father has recently moved to nr Villeneuve in France (now I know that's
not exactly uk.rec.gardening but hey, I like you guys ;-)) . He's got a bit
of land. We can't identify two of the plants. Anyone help?

John Doe #1
http://ltierney.demon.co.uk/images/May03056.JPG

John Doe #2
http://ltierney.demon.co.uk/images/May03058.JPG

Tulip tree. See

http://www.bordehill.co.uk/PhotoGallery.htm

for the matching pair ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 05-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacusn
urseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
First one looks like Rhubarb flowers.

It does - that's what I thought. But it seems to belong to those fine
papyrus type leaves - if so, then I've no idea what it is and will be
very interested to find out.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Dave Poole

No. 1
The inflorescence of a palm. Most likely Phoenix dactylifera. If the
flowers develop waxy petals then it is male.

Erm no, those large spathes give the plant away, it is a male plant of
Trachycarpus fortunei.

No. 2
Liriodendron. Tulip tree. A good looking specimen.

Yes brilliant trees aren't they? Pity they take a bit of time to
reach flowering size. Still those oddly shaped always make a god
talking point and the autumn colour can be superb.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Drop 'h' when mailing
Old 06-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Brian

Not only is Dave correct but to my eternal shame I have a number of these
Chusan Palms in my garden in Tenerife!! But at least it is a palm and it is
male!! Actually it was this palm I had in mind but used the wrong name.
Thanks and Best Wishes Brian

Old 07-05-2004, 06:10 PM
lord0

Cheers guys I knew I could rely on you ;-)

Lord0

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , lord0 ltierney@lti
erney.demon.co.uk writes
Hi there,

My father has recently moved to nr Villeneuve in France (now I know

that's
not exactly uk.rec.gardening but hey, I like you guys ;-)) . He's got a

bit
of land. We can't identify two of the plants. Anyone help?

John Doe #1
http://ltierney.demon.co.uk/images/May03056.JPG

John Doe #2
http://ltierney.demon.co.uk/images/May03058.JPG

Tulip tree. See

http://www.bordehill.co.uk/PhotoGallery.htm

for the matching pair ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Plant Trivia Pat inspired Bill who putters Gardening 1 27-06-2010 01:07 PM
Yet another identification required - TIA [email protected] United Kingdom 2 01-10-2006 12:35 PM
ooh look at the birdie Koi-lo Ponds 14 05-02-2006 02:39 AM
Plant Identification required, please Banana United Kingdom 4 31-05-2003 09:32 AM
Plant identification book required Martin & Anna Sykes United Kingdom 4 04-11-2002 04:41 PM