GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vegetables are better than flowers... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60720-vegetables-better-than-flowers.html)

gary davis 06-05-2004 11:04 AM

Vegetables are better than flowers...

Greetings
For many years I have had a garden...a vegetable garden. My wife planted
the flowers and it was only until recently that I realized why I,
personally, did not want to plant flowers.
Plant vegetables and they grow all summer...watching them grow is like
enjoying the bloom of a flower that never dies. The succulent taste of a
newly harvested carrot or potato is enhanced by the enjoyment of watching
them grow.
My potatoes are just now breaking the surface. They are fighting. They
are fighting to reach the sun, to grow to maturity. I almost killed the seed
by wanting them to be green and not have buds reaching for the light. I put
them out in the sunlight and when evening fell, they were frost bitten.
I found them the next day and brought them into the house where they
stayed until it was time to bury them.
There was a fungi growing on many of them. I have never seen a fungi
growing on seed potatoes before but I planted them anyways. Having faith
never hurts in any situation.
Today is May6/04 and I planted them about two weeks ago. I usually write
down the date but I forgot this time.
My potatoes are breaking the surface...go for it, I tell them. Go for
it!
I know they will do the best they can. They are my potatoes.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

The flowers I did want to see growing were pansies, roses and others
that bloom all summer long. The others, that died, I did not want.

Derek Turner 06-05-2004 11:05 AM

Vegetables are better than flowers...

On Thu, 06 May 2004 08:59:39 GMT, gary davis wrote:

Greetings

greetings. please do not post HTML to this text-only group.

Emery Davis 06-05-2004 03:11 PM

Vegetables are better than flowers...

On Thu, 06 May 2004 08:59:39 GMT, gary davis said:

] Greetings
][snip]
] I know they will do the best they can. They are my potatoes.

Well, greetings Gary. This is the quote of the day, for my vote.

Are you perhaps my uncle? He might say something like that. What's more,
you have the same name.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Martin 06-05-2004 08:09 PM

Vegetables are better than flowers...

Vegetables are better than flowers...

SNIP

The flowers I did want to see growing were pansies, roses and others

that bloom all summer long. The others, that died, I did not want.

Is it just me that finds this more than a little disturbing? Maybe it's the
reference to his wife (in the past tense....)

Martin

---

gary davis 09-05-2004 03:06 AM

Vegetables are better than flowers...

On 5/6/04 2:27 AM, in article ,
"Derek Turner" wrote:

On Thu, 06 May 2004 08:59:39 GMT, gary davis wrote:

Greetings

greetings. please do not post HTML to this text-only group.

OK, thanks for letting me know. There are so many things to do and/or not to
do when communicating via the written word...I get confused. I like the way
HTML looks and don't completely understand why it can be used or not used.
Yes, I do know that some cannot receive messages in HTML format but don't
know why...and can't remember when it is acceptable and when it is not. I
think this is being sent in non HTML format. Yikes, why is everything so
complicated...or is it that I am just an old phart? :)
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada
PS: I find I'm thinking with an English accent when I communicate to this
newsgroup...am I nuts or what? Happy gardening...:)

David Hill 09-05-2004 09:04 AM

Vegetables are better than flowers...

"........... I find I'm thinking with an English accent when I communicate
to this newsgroup...am I nuts or what? Happy gardening .................."

More likely it's the first signs of sanity.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Brian 09-05-2004 02:10 PM

"David Hill" wrote in message
"........... I find I'm thinking with an English accent when I communicate
to this newsgroup...am I nuts or what? Happy gardening

More likely it's the first signs of sanity.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Generally you would find that the British think the Canadian accent more

attractive than many of our own regional versions~~ other than Scottish [But
not Glaswegian]. Unless we only hear the best of the Canadian?.
Best Wishes Brian