Old 06-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Shirl

Default Little dots on my cucumber, help please :-/

Hello

Ok I brought my cucumber plant in from the greenhouse tonight as there may
be a frost and I noticed it had tiny dots on the underside of the leaves.
Now im assuming they are some type of insect but as a total newbie I could
do with a little advice please.

I've looked on the net and it seems that spider mite is common but I just
want to check with you guys first. What do I need to do now? And should I
keep it away from the rest of my plants?

I bought the plant at my local garden center and noticed that the first
three true leaves (it has five in total) have a kind of light coloured
speckled effect on the tops, is this related do you think?

Thankyou for any help

Old 09-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally posted by Shirl
Hello

Ok I brought my cucumber plant in from the greenhouse tonight as there may
be a frost and I noticed it had tiny dots on the underside of the leaves.
Now im assuming they are some type of insect but as a total newbie I could
do with a little advice please.

I've looked on the net and it seems that spider mite is common but I just
want to check with you guys first. What do I need to do now? And should I
keep it away from the rest of my plants?

I bought the plant at my local garden center and noticed that the first
three true leaves (it has five in total) have a kind of light coloured
speckled effect on the tops, is this related do you think?

Thankyou for any help
Hi, dont know if your problem is similar to mine, but if it is then I think it should be Ok, according to these guys:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...threadid=60570
Old 10-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Shirl

s.com...

http://tinyurl.com/38qy7
--
dommy

Hi dommy and thankyou for your reply, its much appreciated.

Hmmm I dont think my cucumber is suffering the same thing as you, mine seems
to have some little insect on it. It was very small but I managed to wash
it off (daily soakings) but I still have what looks to be a few eggs (teeny
clear blobs)

I've still kept the plant out of the greenhouse as I dont want it spreading.
Im just hoping that these daily hosing downs will clear it eventually. In
future I will grow my own plants from seed as im sure I bought it with the
insect on.

Any more advice greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Old 10-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Shirl terter67@bestf
orgetthisbithotmail.com writes

Hmmm I dont think my cucumber is suffering the same thing as you, mine seems
to have some little insect on it. It was very small but I managed to wash
it off (daily soakings) but I still have what looks to be a few eggs (teeny
clear blobs)

'teeny clear blobs' is an excellent description of whitefly eggs - if
so, they will be replaced soon by tiny white flying triangles that fly
up in clouds and get into your eyes and up your nose. Don't do the plant
as much harm as some other pests.

I've still kept the plant out of the greenhouse as I dont want it spreading.
Im just hoping that these daily hosing downs will clear it eventually.

If it is whitefly, try yellow sticky flytraps.

In
future I will grow my own plants from seed as im sure I bought it with the
insect on.

It's fun that way, and you have access to more varieties.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Shirl

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that Kay

It probably makes more sense for it to be whitefly, I was thinking it was
spider mite, but research shows it is a little early for those (especially
in my cold greenhouse) I have the yellow traps up in my greenhouse already
so thats one thing less to worry about.

I need to make a decision as to whether to put it back in my greenhouse soon
as its quite large and will probably fall over soon! (well 18 inches, but
its not supported)

Thanks again :-)

Old 11-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Shirl terter67@bestf
orgetthisbithotmail.com writes

It probably makes more sense for it to be whitefly, I was thinking it was
spider mite, but research shows it is a little early for those (especially
in my cold greenhouse)

Have a look at the 'eggs' through a hand lens (or just peer at them
closely if you're shortsighted) - do they walk around? If so, they're
spider mite.

You'd also see what looks like dust on the under side of the leaves and,
eventually, very fine webs on the newest and tenderest tips.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

White dots on leaves Tree LC Bonsai 2 26-03-2015 02:59 PM
Chalky white specs and red dots on Juniper Martin Bonsai 3 20-07-2005 07:05 PM
tiny moving black dots in conservatory [email protected] Orchids 6 22-04-2005 03:43 PM
Lumpy Things / Black Dots Judi9000 Ponds 2 24-11-2003 05:13 PM
African violet "white dots" Belle Thomas Gardening 7 03-07-2003 11:44 PM