Old 06-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Chris

Default Lawn turfing

Hi,

I used a weed and feed moss treatment as most of my lawn was covered by
moss, I raked off the dead moss and now all I am left with is 80% bare soil.

If I lay new turf on the bare soil will it grow? do I need to dig the lawn
over first and then lay the turf.

Will turf survive if I put it down at this time of year.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Tumbleweed

"Chris" wrote in message
Hi,

I used a weed and feed moss treatment as most of my lawn was covered by
moss, I raked off the dead moss and now all I am left with is 80% bare

soil.

If I lay new turf on the bare soil will it grow? do I need to dig the lawn
over first and then lay the turf.

Will turf survive if I put it down at this time of year.

Thanks.

yes but you should rake it first so the roots can get down through what is
probably compacted soil, and remove the 20% grass. It could also probably do
with a good spiking to geta bit of drainage.
If it wasnt for the rain this would be a good time to lay turf, I'd let it
dry a bit first.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 07-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Chris

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
:
: "Chris" wrote in message
[...]

I thought I might need to hire a rotavator or do something special, so
basically I wait until ground has dried out a bit, give it a raking to
remove the remaining grass and loosen the soil up then turf it, I think I
can manage that

I been reading up on lawn care but being a novice I am not sure what to do
really, what is the best way to maintain the new lawn so I dont end up with
moss and weeds again, I cant afford to re-turf ever summer

Old 07-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Olly

On Fri, 7 May 2004 00:30:25 +0100, "Chris" wrote:

I been reading up on lawn care but being a novice I am not sure what to do
really, what is the best way to maintain the new lawn so I dont end up with
moss and weeds again, I cant afford to re-turf ever summer

To keep a lawn healthy it needs cutting once a week - not too short,
good drainage - spiking over with fork now and again helps, and just
deal with any weed that comes up promptly - either dig out ( special
weed removing tool or spot treat. Most lawns have suffered from the
long dry Summer + wet Winter.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Tumbleweed

: "Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Moss is the difficult thing. If you have moss it means your lawn is 'badly'
drained (not from the POV of the moss it isnt :-)

So, unless you change that, you'll probably get it again.Chemicals can help
but I've just given up and accept it for what it is.