Old 07-05-2004, 12:56 AM
Gill Hall

Default Sooty Mould killed Skimmia?

An old Skimmia japonica, planted in heavy shade under a tree, has finally died.
I noticed its leaves were covered in sooty mould last spring, but didn't do
anything about it. The dead branches were covered in white powdery mould, and
some of the stems had whitish lumpy fungus shaped bits on them. Could it have
been scale insect attack that really did for it? Or did the more vicious white
fungus finish off an already weakened plant? Perhaps the drought last year had
a part to play.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Gill
Old 07-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Gill Hall
writes
An old Skimmia japonica, planted in heavy shade under a tree, has finally died.
I noticed its leaves were covered in sooty mould last spring, but didn't do
anything about it. The dead branches were covered in white powdery mould, and
some of the stems had whitish lumpy fungus shaped bits on them. Could it have
been scale insect attack that really did for it?

That was my thought when you mentioned the sooty mould.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Richard Green

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Gill Hall
writes
An old Skimmia japonica, planted in heavy shade under a tree, has finally

died.
I noticed its leaves were covered in sooty mould last spring, but didn't

do
anything about it. The dead branches were covered in white powdery mould,

and
some of the stems had whitish lumpy fungus shaped bits on them. Could it

have
been scale insect attack that really did for it?

That was my thought when you mentioned the sooty mould.

My dad had a similar sooty mould on his camelia, and contacted a radio phone
in on gardening. He was advised that the sooty mould was infact droppings
from aphids, and to wash the leaves with soapy water to clean them, and then
to spray with an insecticide to kill the aphids, and a fungicide to kill the
fungal spores which they spread.
hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Richard
Green writes

My dad had a similar sooty mould on his camelia, and contacted a radio phone
in on gardening. He was advised that the sooty mould was infact droppings
from aphids, and to wash the leaves with soapy water to clean them, and then
to spray with an insecticide to kill the aphids, and a fungicide to kill the
fungal spores which they spread.
hope this helps.

!!!!!
The soapy water would probably do for the aphids. Applying an
insecticide and then a fungicide as well does seem to be overkill!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: