GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broad beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60767-broad-beans.html)

Alan Holmes 06-05-2004 11:56 PM

Broad beans

My broad beans are falling over, should I have staked them?

Alan

Sue da Nimm 06-05-2004 11:58 PM

Broad beans

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

My broad beans are falling over, should I have staked them?

Alan

If they're a standard variety such as aquadulce they should have parallel
wires either side of each row, attached to stakes at about 3ft.
The dwarf varieties like the Sutton are self-supporting (and still produce a
good crop)

Chris French and Helen Johnson 07-05-2004 02:06 AM

Broad beans

In message , Sue da Nimm
writes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

My broad beans are falling over, should I have staked them?

Alan

If they're a standard variety such as aquadulce they should have parallel
wires either side of each row, attached to stakes at about 3ft.
The dwarf varieties like the Sutton are self-supporting (and still produce a
good crop)

We grow ours in blocks in raised beds, I put in some stakes - about 3
foot high at each corner and then run s couple of rows of string round,
does the job.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Robert 07-05-2004 07:05 AM

Broad beans

Robert Argyle are top of the league and we are having a laugh
www.pafc.co.uk
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
:
: My broad beans are falling over, should I have staked them?
:
: Alan
:
:
:Yes, the way I do it is to run two (or sometimes 3) ropes between posts set
along each side so that this supports them against strong winds and 'heavy
crop fallover'

Steve Harris 07-05-2004 01:08 PM

Broad beans

In article , .
(Sue da Nimm) wrote:

The dwarf varieties like the Sutton are self-supporting

I'll show your posting to mine and perhaps they'll buck up their ideas

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/