Old 07-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Useful plant for a shady spot

We've recently cleared some rubbish from beside our back
door. As a result, there's now a patch of bare soil that
could do with something in it. It's right next to a big
tall fence on the south side, and the house to the east, so
it doesn't get much light. But we'd like to put something
useful (such as a herb) there if we can, where we can just
lean out and pick some for the kitchen. (We were hoping we
could put some asparagus there until we learnt it wanted
full sun.) On the other side of the door a big bushy purple
sage is taking over very happily, so we want something to
balance it. We also already have chives, rosemary, and
parsley doing very well elsewhere in the garden. What could
we put there?

Rhiannon

Old 08-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Rhiannon Macfie
Miller writes

We've recently cleared some rubbish from beside our back
door. As a result, there's now a patch of bare soil that
could do with something in it. It's right next to a big
tall fence on the south side, and the house to the east, so
it doesn't get much light. But we'd like to put something
useful (such as a herb) there if we can, where we can just
lean out and pick some for the kitchen. (We were hoping we
could put some asparagus there until we learnt it wanted
full sun.) On the other side of the door a big bushy purple
sage is taking over very happily, so we want something to
balance it. We also already have chives, rosemary, and
parsley doing very well elsewhere in the garden. What could
we put there?

Bay? It tolerates shade.
Or mint.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 08-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

andrewpreece wrote:
Rhubarb?

I would love some rhubarb. Unfortunately my husband loathes
it, and won't allow it in the house or garden. I have no
idea why.

Rhiannon

Old 08-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Kay Easton wrote:

Bay? It tolerates shade.
Or mint.

Bay is good, and as I mentioned in another post, we do have
a bay in a pot that needs planting out. I'd just be worried
that it would be a bit close to the house for what is
essentially a tree.

Mint is something neither of us are particularly fond of in
our food, so wouldn't be that useful to us.

Rhiannon

Old 08-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rhiannon Macfie
Miller writes
Kay Easton wrote:

Bay? It tolerates shade.
Or mint.

Bay is good, and as I mentioned in another post, we do have
a bay in a pot that needs planting out. I'd just be worried
that it would be a bit close to the house for what is
essentially a tree.

That is a good point. Ours is about 6ft from the house. It's about 8ft
high, but that's because we cut about 12 ft off the top last autumn, and
it is beginning to push over a nasty concrete retaining wall (which in
the circumstances is basically a plus).

Could you confine the roots, so that it was in effect in a very big
sunken container?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Mike Lyle

andrewpreece wrote:
Rhubarb?

I would love some rhubarb. Unfortunately my husband loathes
it, and won't allow it in the house or garden. I have no
idea why.

What _is_ this insecure husband thing going on round here? We've got
somebody else whose bloke cuts down her wild flowers with a strimmer
every year, although she's asked him not to.

Provided we're actually getting the whole story, these guys are
spoilt! Sorry to be rude, but it needs to be said. If you like
rhubarb, what on earth harm can it do him if you have some? He ought
to be glad to help you get a treat: but if all else has failed, surely
you might do a deal of some kind with him.

Mike.