Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Richard Green

Default leaf curl on plum trees Help!

My plum tree has leaf curl virus. I now know that it can be prevented by
spraying at leaf fall, and again in spring prior to the buds opening with a
fungicide such as bordeaux mixture. However what should I do with the tree
at the moment? Should I prune out the affected branches, and feed the tree?
or should I just leave it alone and feed it?
The tree is a victoria, and I live in the Manchester area, which is quite
damp

Old 08-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Rod

On Sat, 8 May 2004 20:35:58 +0100, "Richard Green"
wrote:

My plum tree has leaf curl virus. I now know that it can be prevented by
spraying at leaf fall, and again in spring prior to the buds opening with a
fungicide such as bordeaux mixture. However what should I do with the tree
at the moment? Should I prune out the affected branches, and feed the tree?
or should I just leave it alone and feed it?
The tree is a victoria, and I live in the Manchester area, which is quite
damp

Bit of confusion creeping in. How did you diagnose the 'virus'? What
do you hope to achieve by spraying a fungicide on a suspected virus
infection? Have you opened up those curled leaves and looked for
aphids? When you have a good diagnosis you can then think what to do
about it.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 08-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Richard Green

wrote:

My plum tree has leaf curl virus. I now know that it can be prevented by
spraying at leaf fall, and again in spring prior to the buds opening with

fungicide such as bordeaux mixture. However what should I do with the

tree
at the moment? Should I prune out the affected branches, and feed the

tree?
or should I just leave it alone and feed it?
The tree is a victoria, and I live in the Manchester area, which is quite
damp

Bit of confusion creeping in. How did you diagnose the 'virus'? What
do you hope to achieve by spraying a fungicide on a suspected virus
infection? Have you opened up those curled leaves and looked for
aphids? When you have a good diagnosis you can then think what to do
about it.

I have opened up the curled leaves and there is no sign of any aphids. The
leaves curl but are still green at present. It only affect the ends of some
of the shoots. Leaf curl virus was the nearest match that I could find but I
am open to suggestions as to the cause and remedy.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Rod

On Sat, 8 May 2004 22:07:39 +0100, "Richard Green"
wrote:

I have opened up the curled leaves and there is no sign of any aphids. The
leaves curl but are still green at present. It only affect the ends of some
of the shoots. Leaf curl virus was the nearest match that I could find but I
am open to suggestions as to the cause and remedy.

All I can suggest ATM is to look at
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...plum_aphid.asp
Then have another look at your leaves possibly with a decent hand lens
if you can.This really is the prime suspect but it would be nice if
you could see the evidence for yourself to confirm it or send us
looking in another direction.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Sacha

Rod8/5/04 10:44
om

wrote:

I have opened up the curled leaves and there is no sign of any aphids. The
leaves curl but are still green at present. It only affect the ends of some
of the shoots. Leaf curl virus was the nearest match that I could find but I
am open to suggestions as to the cause and remedy.

All I can suggest ATM is to look at
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...plum_aphid.asp
Then have another look at your leaves possibly with a decent hand lens
if you can.This really is the prime suspect but it would be nice if
you could see the evidence for yourself to confirm it or send us
looking in another direction.

The could be the Tortrix moth caterpillar. It's small and hard to spot,
IIRC. http://www.birstall.co.uk/trouble43.htm

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Richard Green

wrote:

I have opened up the curled leaves and there is no sign of any aphids.

The
leaves curl but are still green at present. It only affect the ends of

some
of the shoots. Leaf curl virus was the nearest match that I could find

but I
am open to suggestions as to the cause and remedy.

All I can suggest ATM is to look at
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...plum_aphid.asp
Then have another look at your leaves possibly with a decent hand lens
if you can.This really is the prime suspect but it would be nice if
you could see the evidence for yourself to confirm it or send us
looking in another direction.

The picture looks exactly as per the link. On very close inspection with a
lens small aphids can be seen (must get eyes tested!). As Murphy Mortegg has
now been withdrawn I will have to resort to the fall back of Soapy Water
sprayed on the leaves and then rubbed in with a rubber gloved hand.

Thanks for all the help.

Richard

HELP - Leaf Curl on Plum Trees ? [email protected] United Kingdom 5 08-05-2006 03:59 PM
Plum/Peach aphid leaf curl Tiger303 United Kingdom 9 18-05-2005 10:18 PM
Leaf curl on plum tree Udo Dölz United Kingdom 0 20-06-2003 10:56 PM
peach leaf curl H United Kingdom 1 10-06-2003 05:20 PM
crypt leaf curl? linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 24-04-2003 03:32 AM