GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Soil for the bog garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60947-soil-bog-garden.html)

Tim 09-05-2004 04:08 PM

Soil for the bog garden

Im just digging out a new bog garden. Soil is heavy red clay, with about an
inch of half decent soil on top.Can I use the red clay and top soil IN the
liner, thus avoiding the cost and pain of disposing of the spoil from the
hole?
Please say i can use the spoil! :o)
Thanks
Tim

Janet Baraclough.. 09-05-2004 11:08 PM

Soil for the bog garden

The message
from "Tim" notachanceunlessyouremovethis.twstannard@ntlworld .com
contains these words:

Im just digging out a new bog garden. Soil is heavy red clay, with about an
inch of half decent soil on top.Can I use the red clay and top soil IN the
liner, thus avoiding the cost and pain of disposing of the spoil from the
hole?
Please say i can use the spoil! :o)

Course you can; clay is both fertile and water-retentive. Sticky wet
clay should be a welcome feast to many bogplants. I'd try to mix the
topsoil in, plus some compost, as you re-fill the hole.

If it's a low-lying soggy area of garden, your clay-ey bog garden
might not even need a liner.

Janet

Tim 10-05-2004 01:09 AM

Soil for the bog garden

Thanks for that Janet, thats a weight off my back, as well as my mind!
:o)