Old 09-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Steve Harris

Default What shop-bought vegetables should NOT be composted?

Are there vegetable trimmings from the kitchen that you would NOT put on
your compost heap for fear of infecting your own produce?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 09-05-2004, 11:07 PM
shazzbat

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Are there vegetable trimmings from the kitchen that you would NOT put on
your compost heap for fear of infecting your own produce?

No. not me.
There is an opinion that you shouldn't put the peel of citrus fruits on, but
this is because of the pesticides used, rather than contaminating your
produce.

Steve

Old 10-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Emrys Davies

'Steve',

http://vegweb.com/composting/what.shtml

http://vegweb.com/composting/what-not.shtml

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:12 AM
Steve Harris

In article , (Emrys Davies)
wrote:

http://vegweb.com/composting/what-not.shtml

Which suggests "DISEASED PLANTS". Now, was the leek that formed part of
my tea tonight diseased?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Old 10-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Steve
Harris writes
Are there vegetable trimmings from the kitchen that you would NOT put on
your compost heap for fear of infecting your own produce?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

We don't use any purchased or manufactured waste foodstuffs for
composting - what little of those we may have are fed to our resident
family of moor-hens living on the island of our pond. We do compost any
waste from our own organic grown plants, mainly in the form of trimmings
at the time of picking.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message

In article ,
Janet Baraclough.. writes:
| The message
| from
(Steve Harris) contains these words:

| Are there vegetable trimmings from the kitchen that you would NOT
put on
| your compost heap for fear of infecting your own produce?
|
| I don't put the peel from any potatoes (homegrown or shop) in the
| compost, it doesn't seem worth risking blight for such a trivial amount
| of compost material.

I believe that this is an old wife's tale (that is not a personal
remark!), because blight is not likely to spread through potato
peelings. There are, however, some diseases (probably including
white rot of alliums) that could spread through compost. I don't,
however, worry, as the main sources of infection are the wind and
flying insects ....

It would be nice to find a serious scientific analysis of this,
rather than seeing yet another repetition of the old stories that
have been passed around for centuries. Regrettably, professional
scientists are no more immune to making that mistake than anyone
else :-(

It isn't logical, but it's one of those habits imposed in childhood by
my grandparents that can never *quite* be shaken off. Every so often,
some belief of theirs surfaces as the latest scientific discovery, and
the shade of my grandmother mouths "I told you so".

I'm still waiting for the arcane properties of green paint to be recognised.

Janet

Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

It would be nice to find a serious scientific analysis of this,
rather than seeing yet another repetition of the old stories that
have been passed around for centuries. Regrettably, professional
scientists are no more immune to making that mistake than anyone
else :-(

Are you sure you mean that Nick?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

It would be nice to find a serious scientific analysis of this,
rather than seeing yet another repetition of the old stories that
have been passed around for centuries. Regrettably, professional
scientists are no more immune to making that mistake than anyone
else :-(

Are you sure you mean that Nick?

Can you clarify what you understood me to say? I meant what I
understood my statement to say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:05 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

It would be nice to find a serious scientific analysis of this,
rather than seeing yet another repetition of the old stories that
have been passed around for centuries. Regrettably, professional
scientists are no more immune to making that mistake than anyone
else :-(

Are you sure you mean that Nick?

Can you clarify what you understood me to say? I meant what I
understood my statement to say.

What your statement says is indisputable. I understand it to imply that
scientific analysis is not necessarily any more accurate or reliable
than non-scientific analysis. Is that what you intended it to imply?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.