GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shrubs and trees for a sunny riverbank (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60973-shrubs-trees-sunny-riverbank.html)

Steve Harris 09-05-2004 11:06 PM

Shrubs and trees for a sunny riverbank

Suggestions for a friend:

- Site is on the flood-plain of a river
- Lots of sun although last frost can be late May
- Mix of shrubs/large perennials and quite tall trees
- Ideally plant/sow and forget

I suppose the main consideration is they must tolerate having their feet
wet for several days in a wet winter.

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Victoria Clare 12-05-2004 03:07 PM

Shrubs and trees for a sunny riverbank

(Steve Harris) wrote in
:

Suggestions for a friend:

- Site is on the flood-plain of a river
- Lots of sun although last frost can be late May
- Mix of shrubs/large perennials and quite tall trees
- Ideally plant/sow and forget

I suppose the main consideration is they must tolerate having their feet
wet for several days in a wet winter.

I suppose willows are the obvious thing, and they are very cheap and easy.
(hack a bit off, stick in ground, ignore).

I've suggested Salix babylonica to my sister, who has a large area of very
damp land to plant up sometime soon. Corkscrew willows are nice too, if
you have a bit less space.

Dogwoods are pretty, largish & like damp, but you soon lose the nice
red/yellow stems if you don't cut them back each year. Perhaps Cornus alba
Elegantissima, which also has flowers and pretty leaves ?

Gunnera maculata seems to be traditional in that sort of spot, but I don't
care for it much myself.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill