GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato Flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61018-tomato-flowers.html)

Joanne 10-05-2004 07:33 PM

Tomato Flowers

I understand that you're supposed to plant tomatoes when the first flowers
are forming. I've been growing Gardener's Delight since mid-February,
indoors by a window, and they're getting fairly tall. I have some growbags
waiting for them in my greenhouse, but there's no sign of any flowers yet.
Should there be, or is it still too early?

Thanks

Alan Gould 10-05-2004 07:34 PM

Tomato Flowers

In article , Joanne
writes
I understand that you're supposed to plant tomatoes when the first flowers
are forming. I've been growing Gardener's Delight since mid-February,
indoors by a window, and they're getting fairly tall. I have some growbags
waiting for them in my greenhouse, but there's no sign of any flowers yet.
Should there be, or is it still too early?

Don't wait for the flowers to show before you plant them, but wait until
the first trusses are formed before you feed them. With Gardener's
Delight, you can choose either bush or cordon growth, i.e. whether you
pinch out the side-shoots or not, but cordon style is more suited to
indoor grown plants due to space required.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Brian 10-05-2004 07:35 PM

Tomato Flowers

There is no need to wait for flowers to appear. Get them in to the
greenhouse quickly before they get too 'drawn'. They will soon strengthen
and first truss will appear.
Best Wishes Brian.

jasonkrezza 17-03-2011 06:33 PM

Do not wait until the flower show before you plant them, but wait until the formation of the first truss before you feed them. With the joy of the gardener, you can choose to grow bush or cordon, that is, whether or not you pinch a bud, but the warning line style is more suitable for growing plants indoors, because the space required.