Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Will

Default Small black beetle types on swede seedlings

Hi All,

I think that this is my first posting here, though I have been
lurking on and off for a couple of years. I am not a knowledgeable
gardener by any means, though I used to assist my father many years
ago.

I took on an overgrown allotment the autumn before last, was
late working it last year and most of what I planted was swamped by
weeds, the exception being broad and runner beans, which both did very
well.

So I spent many hours last year hoeing, occasionally spraying
with agri grade roundup, and using an enormous flamegun to cook both
weeds and hopefully their weeds.

This year I am well in front of where I was last year, the weeds
at present are relatively few, and easily kept in check with the hoe,
and most of the allotment is planted.

I have spent some of the past three or four days admiring the
allotment, as plants have started to grow, one of which was a row of
swede, first breaking though, then getting taller and stronger. Until
today... All of the seedlings that are through are covered with very
small black beetle type bugs, and they appear to be nibbling on the
leaves of the seedlings, and/or sucking their contents out, leaving
the seedlings looking pretty poorly. Is this a known problem, and is
it readily treated?

All help appreciated...

--
Regards,

Will.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Brian

This is the ultra common Flea-beetle aka Turnip Fly. Dusting with BHC used
to be the precaution as soon as emerging~~repeated weekly until the rough
leaf stage.
This pest is only serious in dry weather and spraying with water each
evening [after sunset] is a good deterrent. Talk to other allotment
holders~~they can be most helpful.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:08:09 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

This is the ultra common Flea-beetle aka Turnip Fly. Dusting with BHC used
to be the precaution as soon as emerging~~repeated weekly until the rough
leaf stage.
This pest is only serious in dry weather and spraying with water each
evening [after sunset] is a good deterrent. Talk to other allotment
holders~~they can be most helpful.

Another deterrent is to place a few old marg tubs around the plants
and fill the tubs with a little old cooking oil ( up to a depth of,
say, 5mm )
The flea beetle gets around by hopping ( hence the name ) and these
traps will catch a fair few of the buggers. Once they're in the oil,
they're caught.
It's very satisfying to walk past the crop and watch the beetles pile
into the traps.

As oil floats on water these traps will tolerate a fair bit of rain
too. Just empty onto your compost heap when done.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 11-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Will

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to both respondents for your help, I've treated the
seedlings (or what's left of them) with both spray and dust, so
hopefully that will do the trick. Oddly enough, there were none in
evidence this morning, though it was fairly cool hereabouts - I get
the feeling they had retreated a safe distance to watch...

--
Regards,

Will.

Swede JamesB United Kingdom 0 16-06-2008 10:48 AM
Problem with bitter swede Bugalugs1970 Edible Gardening 1 16-05-2008 04:23 PM
white fly on swede Paul Taylor United Kingdom 1 02-11-2003 06:43 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM