GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pH of Ericaceous Compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61072-ph-ericaceous-compost.html)

Joanne 11-05-2004 04:21 PM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

Does anyone know the pH level of B&Q ericaceous compost?

Thanks

Franz Heymann 11-05-2004 11:23 PM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

"Joanne" wrote in message
Does anyone know the pH level of B&Q ericaceous compost?

I once tested a sample. It was about 5. It was difficult to judge
the colour produced in the test, because of the background colour of
the peaty water.

By the way, don't ever waste money on one of those electrical probes
for measuring pH which are sometimes for sale in garden centres. They
are a con trick. I once tested one of them against a pH colour test
set, using tap water and citric acid at various concentrations as the
liquid under test. The readings from the garden pH tester were an
almost random lot of nonsense.

Franz

Joanne 12-05-2004 10:15 AM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
Does anyone know the pH level of B&Q ericaceous compost?

By the way, don't ever waste money on one of those electrical probes
for measuring pH which are sometimes for sale in garden centres. They
are a con trick.

Thanks for the pH reading, Franz. As for the electric probe, your advice
has come too late! I bought one of these at Christmas and I agree that
they're worthless. I tested it with water, vinegar, and soil that I knew
was acidic, but the needle never moved from neutral.

martin 12-05-2004 11:22 AM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:42:09 +0100, "Joanne"
wrote:

Thanks for the pH reading, Franz. As for the electric probe, your advice
has come too late! I bought one of these at Christmas and I agree that
they're worthless. I tested it with water, vinegar, and soil that I knew
was acidic, but the needle never moved from neutral.

battery not included? :-)

Joanne 12-05-2004 11:23 AM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

"martin" wrote in message

Thanks for the pH reading, Franz. As for the electric probe, your advice
has come too late! I bought one of these at Christmas and I agree that
they're worthless. I tested it with water, vinegar, and soil that I knew
was acidic, but the needle never moved from neutral.

battery not included? :-)

Battery not required (hmm, I'd best double-check that). I exchanged it for
another one, but that was just the same.

martin 12-05-2004 11:31 AM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:47:23 +0100, "Joanne"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks for the pH reading, Franz. As for the electric probe, your advice
has come too late! I bought one of these at Christmas and I agree that
they're worthless. I tested it with water, vinegar, and soil that I knew
was acidic, but the needle never moved from neutral.

battery not included? :-)

Battery not required (hmm, I'd best double-check that). I exchanged it for
another one, but that was just the same.

I'd take Franz's word for it. Ask for your money back :-)

Bigus 12-05-2004 01:15 PM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

"Joanne" wrote in message
Does anyone know the pH level of B&Q ericaceous compost?

should be alright for blueberries.. presumably you're potting up - if so,
mix in a little sand (1 part in 10).

Bigus

Sue da Nimm 12-05-2004 02:15 PM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

"Joanne" wrote in message
Thanks for the pH reading, Franz. As for the electric probe, your advice
has come too late! I bought one of these at Christmas and I agree that
they're worthless. I tested it with water, vinegar, and soil that I knew
was acidic, but the needle never moved from neutral.

Not completely useless. Ours never reads 'owt but 6.8 - although it does
waggle occasionally.
But it has a useful life because I find it perfect for pricking-out
seedlings!

Philip 12-05-2004 05:11 PM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

"Joanne" wrote in message news:Gnmoc.22$44.1@newsfe1-win...
"martin" wrote in message

Thanks for the pH reading, Franz. As for the electric probe, your advice
has come too late! I bought one of these at Christmas and I agree that
they're worthless. I tested it with water, vinegar, and soil that I knew
was acidic, but the needle never moved from neutral.

battery not included? :-)

Battery not required (hmm, I'd best double-check that). I exchanged it for
another one, but that was just the same.

Take it back and complain. Dont let them get away with it.

Franz Heymann 12-05-2004 11:22 PM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

"martin" wrote in message

Thanks for the pH reading, Franz. As for the electric probe,

your advice
has come too late! I bought one of these at Christmas and I

agree that
they're worthless. I tested it with water, vinegar, and soil

that I knew
was acidic, but the needle never moved from neutral.

battery not included? :-)

Battery not required (hmm, I'd best double-check that). I exchanged

it for
another one, but that was just the same.

They don't need a battery.
There is really no way of describing them, except as tokens of
gratitude for the money you handed over.

Franz

martin 12-05-2004 11:32 PM

pH of Ericaceous Compost

"martin" wrote in message

Thanks for the pH reading, Franz. As for the electric probe,

your advice
has come too late! I bought one of these at Christmas and I

agree that
they're worthless. I tested it with water, vinegar, and soil

that I knew
was acidic, but the needle never moved from neutral.

battery not included? :-)

Battery not required (hmm, I'd best double-check that). I exchanged

it for
another one, but that was just the same.

They don't need a battery.
There is really no way of describing them, except as tokens of
gratitude for the money you handed over.

I understand that they can also be used for
measuring osmosis in plastic yachts
frightening away female mosquitos
curing rheumatism
removing warts