Old 11-05-2004, 05:16 PM
John Edgar

Default Sodium Chlorate

On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 11-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Rod

On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:00:54 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?
John
In limine sapientiae

Depends on your plants, on the soil type and topography and on the
rainfall. It is *very* mobile in the soil. For that reason I would
only use it in exceptional circumstances. For most cases there are
safer alternatives. I would say if you're even thinking about possible
damage to nearby plants you should be using something else. Sodium
chlorate is best kept for total weed control in non crop situations.
Another drawback is the unpredictable and often long time between
application and the soil becoming useable for growing crops again.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 11-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Ian Wolfe

In message
John Edgar wrote:

On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?
John
In limine sapientiae

In my view it would be extra limen sapientiae to use it at all.

--
Ian Wolfe.
Linlithgow. Birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Gil2

I'm surprised you can still buy it as it was what we used to make very large
very dangerous fireworks when we were kids (oh allright bombs then). I will
refrain from mentioning the other key ingredients but I had thought that
most garden centres were discouraged from selling it years ago ?

Gil.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Brian

"Steve Black" wrote in message
Sugar!

"Gil2" wrote in message
I'm surprised you can still buy it as it was what we used to make very

large
very dangerous fireworks when we were kids (oh allright bombs then). I

will
refrain from mentioning the other key ingredients but I had thought that
most garden centres were discouraged from selling it years ago ?

Gil.

"Ian Wolfe" wrote in message
In message
John Edgar wrote:

On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to

flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?
John
In limine sapientiae

In my view it would be extra limen sapientiae to use it at all.

--
Ian Wolfe.
Linlithgow. Birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots.
Blessed are the peacemakers.

Please take care. Sodium Chlorate is a good total weedkiller but with the

ability to creep~~ distances related to soil type and slopes etc. It can,
however, become not only explosive but 'high explosive'~~ Meaning that it
can readily explode, viciously, without compaction or restriction. To become
potentially unstable it has to be mixed with other substances~~ Unmixed it
is safe.
Regards Brian.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"John Edgar" wrote in message
news
On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to
flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?

Sodium chlorate is absorbed via the roots. Try to imagine how far the
roots will have spread and put no Sodium chlorate closer than that
distance from the main stem + about two feet (because the stuff can
migrate sideways).

In other words, it is fairly dicey stuff to use.

Franz

Old 12-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Peter Coddington

"John Edgar" wrote in message
news
On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?
John
In limine sapientiae

As an interesting point. Prior to Garden Centres, Supermarkets. I remember
purchasing this product from the local Chemists Shop. I had to declare its
intended use and also sign a register ( dangerous drugs ???)
Any other readers remember this era or was this specific to my local Chemist
who was taking precautions should I use it for some unlawful purpose?
Peter.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Brian

We used to purchase by the hundredweight with no restrictions~ but they were
aware of our address for delivery. We used it, before Roundup, to keep a
cobbled [300yds] driveway reasonably clean. Every 6months more or less.
Only when purchasing large quantities of Grammoxone have I been asked to
sign the poisons book. It had become an ingredient in the diet of wayward
husbands![who got found out!!]
Best Wishes Brian

"Peter Coddington" wrote in message

news

Old 12-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:15:28 +0100, Brian wrote:

Please take care. Sodium Chlorate... can,
however, become not only explosive but 'high explosive'~~ Meaning that it
can readily explode, viciously, without compaction or restriction. To become
potentially unstable it has to be mixed with other substances~~ Unmixed it
is safe.

As a defrocked chemist, let me chime in. If you buy sodium
chlorate, use all you buy immediately and do not store any
excess. It's sufficiently dangerous you really don't want to keep
it around the place.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 12-05-2004, 10:10 AM
John Edgar

wrote:

On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?
John
In limine sapientiae

Thanks for all the replies. We bought the pack at Hilliers Garden
Centre just outside Horsham. Methinks it may be a toned down "modern"
version.
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 12-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Rod

wrote:

On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?
John
In limine sapientiae

Thanks for all the replies. We bought the pack at Hilliers Garden
Centre just outside Horsham. Methinks it may be a toned down "modern"
version.
John
In limine sapientiae

Well it will have a fire retardant in it, so no good for fireworks,
otherwise all of the reservations expressed still apply. I heard of a
garden shop - Ye Olde sort of garden shop that kept it in an open bin
behind the counter and a visiting rep threw a cigarette end over the
counter.............

Old 12-05-2004, 08:04 PM
John Rouse

In article , John Edgar
writes
On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?

How near to Leylandii can you use it?

John
--
John Rouse