Old 12-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Sacha

Default Rhododendron Lady Alice Fitzwilliam

Is anyone growing this and if so, how would they rate the scent?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 23-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Chris Hogg

Sacha,

Sorry for the late reply, but we visited my mother today and she used
to grow Lady Alice. The scent was strong and sweet, not unlike some of
the more flamboyant Exbury azaleas, or the yellow azalea pontica (aka
a. lutea). Though hers died out for some reason, branch by branch,
before it got more than a few feet high. It's a bit tender, but should
have been OK in west Cornwall, so I don't think frost was the cause.

--
Chris

Old 23-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Eirlys

I`ve missed the question but can guess what it was from this answer.

I persuaded my husband to buy Lady Alice when we saw it at Caerhayes Castle.
It has the most wonderful fragrance and is well worth growing for that
alone.
Our Lady Alice has been out all Winter in a pot and is fine except that this
year we have had no bloom.We live in North Dorset and the plant has survived
the few frosts we have had.

Old 26-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Karl Grave

I`ve missed the question but can guess what it was from this answer.

Me too but my mother aquired one 30 years ago when the Corporation gardens
Dept was being wound down. We grew it indoors (winter) for many years. The
flowers were SUPERB I can still smell that scent. But with us it was a
straggly grower and I was forever having to do air layerings to create less
gangly plants.
I'd certainly like to obtain one now!

--
Karl Grave
Bingley, "The Throstle Nest of Old England"

Old 26-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Sacha

On 25/5/04 22:58, in article , "Karl Grave"
wrote:

Me too but my mother aquired one 30 years ago when the Corporation gardens
Dept was being wound down. We grew it indoors (winter) for many years. The
flowers were SUPERB I can still smell that scent. But with us it was a
straggly grower and I was forever having to do air layerings to create less
gangly plants.
I'd certainly like to obtain one now!

snip

The Plant Finder lists quite a few place that have it. One of them is quite
near here, so I'm hoping to pop over and get one or two later this week.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk