Old 12-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Brian

Default Introduction and rocket question

Hi everyone
My name's Brian, and I live with my family in Norfolk. I'm new to veg
growing generally, so I've been lurking around the group for a while
now, and I've already found you all very helpful. I have a question
though. I planted some rocket a while ago, along with some lettuce
and herbs. I looked this morning, and something's hammered the rocket,
but left everything else untouched. A lot of the leaves have gone
totally, except for bits of stalk - a lot of the remaining leaves have
small holes in them. It looks to me as if something like a bird has
pecked some, because it seems something has torn the leaves off. On
the other hand it obviously wasn't a bird that caused the small holes
in the remaining ones. Surely a bird and a bug haven't teemed up to do
a double whammy? Any advice would be great.
Brian
Old 12-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:36:01 +0100, Brian
wrote:

Hi everyone
My name's Brian, and I live with my family in Norfolk. I'm new to veg
growing generally, so I've been lurking around the group for a while
now, and I've already found you all very helpful. I have a question
though. I planted some rocket a while ago, along with some lettuce
and herbs. I looked this morning, and something's hammered the rocket,
but left everything else untouched. A lot of the leaves have gone
totally, except for bits of stalk - a lot of the remaining leaves have
small holes in them. It looks to me as if something like a bird has
pecked some, because it seems something has torn the leaves off. On
the other hand it obviously wasn't a bird that caused the small holes
in the remaining ones. Surely a bird and a bug haven't teemed up to do
a double whammy? Any advice would be great.
Brian

It's flea beetle.

See a recent thread entitled "Small black beetle types on swede
seedlings" for pertinent advice.
Pigeons and other birds will attack Rocket, and other member of the
Brassica family.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 13-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Brian H

Thanks a lot, I've got the marg tubs out!
Brian