GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   photinia fraseri (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61183-photinia-fraseri.html)

kenty ;-\) 12-05-2004 11:24 PM

photinia fraseri

I have got a photinia which is 9 ft high by 6 ft wide, it is on the right
hand side looking out of my conservatory,4 ft from the fence & 15 ft from
the conservatory.My garden is 20 ft wide.In the RHS encyclopaedia it says it
grows to 15 ft by 15 ft,how long would it take to achieve this size & can it
be pruned to keep it to a size, I was happy to keep it at.I bought this
plant for £70 from my local garden centre.

Thanks Keith,UK.

Frogleg 14-05-2004 10:04 AM

photinia fraseri

On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:38:16 GMT, "kenty ;-\)"
wrote:

I have got a photinia which is 9 ft high by 6 ft wide, it is on the right
hand side looking out of my conservatory,4 ft from the fence & 15 ft from
the conservatory.My garden is 20 ft wide.In the RHS encyclopaedia it says it
grows to 15 ft by 15 ft,how long would it take to achieve this size & can it
be pruned to keep it to a size, I was happy to keep it at.I bought this
plant for £70 from my local garden centre.

How long? About 20 minutes in my experience, if left unpruned. OTOH,
pruning seems to encourage even faster new growth. Pruned/sheared
regularly, they are sometimes used for large hedges here. Quite a
pretty effect with new 'red tip' growth constantly emerging. Around
here (SE Virginia) they grow about 3' a year. YMMV, as we have long,
hot summers.