Old 17-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Rosie

Default Why does washing up liquid kill greenfly?

Why does this work?

I sprayed some water from my washing-up onto my roses and instead of being
covered in greenfly they are now covered in black(dead)greenfly.

How does that work then?

ROSIE

Old 17-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Jason Pope

Rosie wrote:
Why does this work?

I sprayed some water from my washing-up onto my roses and instead of being
covered in greenfly they are now covered in black(dead)greenfly.

How does that work then?

ROSIE

My guess is that it coats their spiracles with detergent so they can't
respire.

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 17-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Rosie wrote:
Why does this work?

I sprayed some water from my washing-up onto my roses and instead of being
covered in greenfly they are now covered in black(dead)greenfly.

How does that work then?

There are two mechanisms. One is that it washes off their waxy coat
that protects them from dehydration, and the other is that it clogs
the pores through which they breathe. I believe that it is primarily
the former, but I could be wrong.

For this reason, pretty well any soap-like liquid will work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Kevin Groves

I always thought it was stopping them from breathing.

Kev,
Old 18-05-2004, 09:09 AM
martin

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:07:22 +0100, "Rosie" wrote:

Why does this work?

I sprayed some water from my washing-up onto my roses and instead of being
covered in greenfly they are now covered in black(dead)greenfly.

How does that work then?

How long did it take before it worked. Yesterday I tried spraying with
a solution of Dreft and water with no effect. I added meths and tried
again and still no effect, I added a lot of meths and I swear I could
hear drunken singing. :-)

Old 18-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Rosie

Martin wrote:
How long did it take before it worked. Yesterday I tried spraying with
a solution of Dreft and water with no effect. I added meths and tried
again and still no effect, I added a lot of meths and I swear I could
hear drunken singing. :-)

: )

It just worked over night. I use Fairy Liquid which is probably pretty
harsh stuff generally.

ROSIE

Old 18-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Tom Bennett

"Nick Maclaren" wrote: There are two mechanisms. One is that it washes
off their waxy coat
that protects them from dehydration, and the other is that it clogs
the pores through which they breathe. I believe that it is primarily
the former, but I could be wrong.

For this reason, pretty well any soap-like liquid will work

Insects are very susceptible to dehydration. For the same reason, fine
dust, although often completely inert, is a very effective insecticide
which works by mechanically scratching the wax cuticle, destroying its
integrity and causing the insect to then dehydrate (borax dust is still a
recognised and very persistent insecticide, provided it is used in dry
situations). Animals and particularly birds take dust baths, partly for
this reason, the other being the dry cleaning effect (c.f. dry "shampoos"
for people in a hurry).

I also suspect that the effect detergent has on altering surface tension
might contribute, possibly by interfering with respiration.

Finally, IME, insects do tend to lose their grip on plants sprayed with
washing-up liquid and I think a reasonable proportion that fall to the
ground may die in situ, be easier for predators to find or go off to
another plant.

I have controlled aphids on houseplants by spraying with very dilute Fairy
Liquid and then washing them off under a running tap or (with larger
plants) hosing them down on the lawn. It might take a few go's but it can
work very well.

- Tom.

Old 18-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Kevin Groves

Rosie wrote:

It just worked over night. I use Fairy Liquid which is probably pretty
harsh stuff generally.

ROSIE

Me too. By the next morning any that are still there turn black.

Kev,
Old 18-05-2004, 09:16 PM
martin

On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:23:44 +0100, "Tom Bennett"
wrote:

I have controlled aphids on houseplants by spraying with very dilute Fairy
Liquid and then washing them off under a running tap or (with larger
plants) hosing them down on the lawn. It might take a few go's but it can
work very well.

My attempts with a mixture of Dreft, water and meths worked o.k.
Old 21-05-2004, 03:16 PM
p.mc

"Kevin Groves" wrote in message
Rosie wrote:

It just worked over night. I use Fairy Liquid which is probably pretty
harsh stuff generally.

ROSIE

Me too. By the next morning any that are still there turn black.

Kev,

Hi
What ratio of fairy liquid to water is needed?.........TIA.

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Old 25-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Douglas

Rosie wrote:

It just worked over night. I use Fairy Liquid which is probably

pretty
harsh stuff generally.

ROSIE

Me too. By the next morning any that are still there turn black.

Kev,

Hi
What ratio of fairy liquid to water is needed?.........TIA.

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

************************
It thins the surface skin on the mixture for one thing, and anyway, - who
likes the taste of soap?.
With ten thousand blackfly chucking up their guts on the tops of all your
broadbeans its no wonder they don't like it and decide to depart.
Speaking for myself, - I know the feeling!. I have had amoebic dysentery
twice and I can tell you that long residence sitting on a bouncy bog, (a
horizontal tree-trunk on two cross-posts, cut out of season with the sap
intact inside and still a bit springy.) with only two hands to preserve
equilibrium, in a Burmah jungle bog when its 110 degrees i.t.s.
The springiness was not conducive to security of tenure on that bar, and
some reports were reported and discussed -- (at a later time, when the
monthly ration of four cans of beer per man was being dealt with.) - that
occasionally incidents occurred just at a time when there was no spare water
and no safe river nearby to jump into.
But I digress.... .I think that the same effect heretofore stated, also
applies to greenfly.
Toodle-pip!.
Doug.
***********************

Old 26-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Registered User

Location: West Sussex

HELP!

Greenfly are causing a right nusance in my (Communal) Garden, I have 3 Tree's in my Garden 2xSycamore and one Bush type thing all of which are Crawling with Greenfly,
How on earth can I kill these Buggers and stop having to wash my car on an almost Daily basis?

PLEASE!
Old 26-05-2004, 05:26 PM
martin

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:05:52 GMT, furydice
wrote:

HELP!

Greenfly are causing a right nusance in my (Communal) Garden, I have 3
Tree's in my Garden 2xSycamore and one Bush type thing all of which are
Crawling with Greenfly,
How on earth can I kill these Buggers and stop having to wash my car on
an almost Daily basis?

PLEASE!

HINT: : "Why does washing up liquid kill greenfly?"
Old 30-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Douglas

wrote:

HELP!

Greenfly are causing a right nusance in my (Communal) Garden, I have 3
Tree's in my Garden 2xSycamore and one Bush type thing all of which are
Crawling with Greenfly,
How on earth can I kill these Buggers and stop having to wash my car on
an almost Daily basis?

PLEASE!

HINT: : "Why does washing up liquid kill greenfly?"

**********************
It won't kill my problem.
I've lived here for 45 years and Neighbours-from-Hell thugs have moved in
next door. (Semi in a nice area).
After a year of torment I have finally persuaded the Scuffers in Blue to get
off their asses and invoke the Harassment Law and the Noise abatement Law.
All is quiet on the Western Front at the moment.
Pray God it stays that way.
Is there a Reservation Order on the trees in your garden?. If there isn't
you are flogging your own backside. But be careful, - you may still have to
apply to settle the problem.
Advice. - Never fell a tree in your garden unless there is plenty of room.
Never, - ever, use an electric saw when you on a ladder, up a tree, or
even just on a ladder.
If you must,
Starting at the bottom branch saw the branches off, leaving the bole ,
(trunk). standing. Undercut first, hen topcut to drop it, keeping out of
the way. If necessary cut through until it creaks then chuck a rope over the
end and yank it down from the ground.
Then saw through the trunk near the top , until it can be pushed off, but
keep the lengths short. It makes more work but too long a piece becomes
unwieldy and dangerous.
On second thoughts, stop the wife's gin money and go get a tree surgeon to
do the job.
That way the wife suffers only a couple of days withdrawal symptoms and you
stay alive.
In my day I have taken down many poles, one or two 60 footers in backyards
10 feet square.
When I think about those days -these days, I cringe a wee bit.
Doug.