Old 18-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Registered User

Talking Slugs and beer

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture continue to work?
__________________
Find me and follow me.............
Old 18-05-2004, 12:04 PM
martin

Default Slugs and beer

On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:55:55 GMT, Lemmonie
wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of
slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

It will work until the containers are full of dead slugs.
They also like cat food!

Give them Heineken, make them die a horrible lingering death :-)
Old 18-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Alan Holmes

wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of
slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

****. If only it were that easy to get shot of pest ******s like you.

PLONK!

Old 18-05-2004, 10:17 PM
tuin man

wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of
slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

It will work until the containers are full of dead slugs.
They also like cat food!

Give them Heineken, make them die a horrible lingering death :-)

I once heard someone or other on the radio recounting their trials on this.
Stout, she said was best, so I gave it a try ... but it was easily the
worst.
Heineken or Carlsberg (if they're not the same thing) seem best. I only tend
to check them once a week and 90 slugs is the best record so far. Then it
dropped to 65, unto 40 ish and soon enough not many at all. Until this year
again.
I recently bought more traps for the neighbouring customer. This time they
came with a little pack of "bait".
Well, I guess they weren't lying cos I caught loads of woodlice, but not a
single slug/snail.
And it said it would last for 2 weeks. There wouldn't have being a hosta
left. So, after some searching by hand to destroy the pests, I re-filled
with beer. This time some Portuguese stuff.
Not a lot of success so far, though the hostas are still being munched
greedily. I guess there must be a trace of the "bait" still lingering
around.

Patrick

Old 19-05-2004, 03:17 PM
D Russell

s.com...

--
Lemmonie
Find me and follow me.............

I reckon to leave my beer in place for about a week, then change it. Seems
to keep working quite well, but as someone else says the pots can fill up
with slugs.
Duncan

Old 19-05-2004, 11:13 PM
ajr

wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of
slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

****. If only it were that easy to get shot of pest ******s like you.

Fantastic!!!!

A one man comedy circus! Keep up the good work.

Old 25-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Douglas

wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of
slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

****. If only it were that easy to get shot of pest ******s like you.

PLONK!

Why don't you go take a running jump, Foulmouth.
You are not welcome on a decent gardening thread so go plonk yourself. It's
probably what you already do anyway when nobody's looking.
Since the mother who dragged you up failedin her duty I am here to tell you
the poster is spot-on with the method of ridding a garden of slugs and
snails, and has been since I was pupped.
Some time ago I bought from an ad in a newspaper ten special plastic cup
things with a lid on each which allowed entry up the sides and you put beer
inside. They were quite successful.
I don't need them now and have been dumped. I have a static pond and the
toads and frogs do the job when they are in short residence each year.
I still get a few here and there but I deal with them in the approved
fashion. I stood on five this morning.
A good time is when the duskis just complete and its dark. even better if
things are a bit wet,
Put warm clothing on, - you've just come out of a warm house, - patrol all
paths with a good flashlight
(battery torch), Stand on anything nasty you see. Then patrol the fower
borders and with gloved hands pick up and bucket any nasties, and if you
meet any plonkers give them a kick in the thingy.
Doug.

Old 25-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Dr RubikZ. Phd

wrote:

[...]

Dads army lives!! Only difference is they were ready to fight armed
men, not defenseless creatures.

Do you have any idea how sad an old phart you sound?

To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch
for signs of activity: Black bear scat is smaller and contains berries;
grizzly scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
Old 26-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Douglas" contains these words:

Why don't you go take a running jump, Foulmouth.
You are not welcome on a decent gardening thread so go plonk yourself.

Neither are people who repost the foulmouthed trash.

Janet.

Old 27-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Douglas

wrote:

[...]

H.M Royal Air Force 1940/1946, - six years when they were needin' 'em - not
feedin' 'em.
Three years away from home and family, protecting the North-West Approaches.
Wounded. Spent four months in Bangour B.M.H. Posted to near here to
convalesce. Shot up by a Junkers 88's cannons on the runway, missed by a
few yards.
Three years in and sometimes above the Burmah jungles. Khanpur B.M.H,
amoebic dysentery. Later, Calcutta, heat exhaustion, Later heat stroke.
Karachi B.M.H., dengue fever posted temp to Naini Tal (Himalayas) to
convalesce.
I, - a real Man , - with others , - did it for those who would follow.
You are one of them.
Jayheezus Christ!.
Doug.

Old 27-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

When do you propose to apologise?

Franz

Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Bettina Green

wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of
slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

Hi,
although other gardeners wrote some useful information,I alos write an
answer. I think , beer traps are good for a moment, but I made the
experience, that beer pots attract slugs from your neighbours garden,
too. Do you want that?

If you need something lasting against slugs, I can recommend a so
called slug fence, it is a galvanized metal strips (and corner pieces)
which prevent slugs from entering your vegetable patch, so you don't
need beer pots in this part of your garden. It stays there for many
years.
(there is a website www.slugfence.com)
I tried this in my garden and it helps ...!

Bettina
Old 05-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Bettina Green

wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of
slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

Hello,

although other gardens gave (more or less) useful answers, her is my
opinion about beer traps: It ist impressive, how many slugs are having
their last party in a beer pot, but I think, the beer attracs slugs
from other gardens, too. So they came from a bigger distance and they
find other plants in your garden and not only the beer.

I can recommend a so called slug fence, this stays for many years in
your garden. It is a galvanized metal strips (and corner pieces) which
prevent slugs from entering your vegetable patch (or flower bed), so
you don't need beer pots in this part of your garden.
(there is a website www.slugfence.com)
I tested this in my garden and it helps ...!

Bettina

Old 05-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Bettina Green

wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

Hello,

although other gardens gave useful answers, her is my opinion about