Old 18-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Sam

Default Grass clippings as mulch?

Is there any good reason why I shouldn't mulch my grape vines with grass
clippings?

Sam

Old 19-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Paul D.Smith

I've found one of two things happen. Either the grass dries out and blows
away or it turns to sillage and stinks. I mix mine with leaves and it all
seems to turn to leaf mold together (or at least it seems to - we have
mainly Oak leaves which take a while).

Paul DS.

Old 19-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Nick Wagg

"Sam" wrote in message
Is there any good reason why I shouldn't mulch my grape vines with grass
clippings?

Don't use clippings if you have treated your lawn with weedkiller.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 19-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Paul
D.Smith writes
"Sam" wrote in message
Is there any good reason why I shouldn't mulch my grape vines with grass
clippings?

I've found one of two things happen. Either the grass dries out and blows
away or it turns to sillage and stinks. I mix mine with leaves and it all
seems to turn to leaf mold together

We use it on the veg beds, I don't have any problem with it, too thick
and it will start to get a bit manky - if so spread it a bit thinner.,
but otherwise ok

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 19-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Sam

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
In message , Paul
D.Smith writes
"Sam" wrote in message
Is there any good reason why I shouldn't mulch my grape vines with

grass
clippings?

I've found one of two things happen. Either the grass dries out and

blows
away or it turns to sillage and stinks. I mix mine with leaves and it

all
seems to turn to leaf mold together

We use it on the veg beds, I don't have any problem with it, too thick
and it will start to get a bit manky - if so spread it a bit thinner.,
but otherwise ok

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

After searching around the web and and Google Groups there seems to be a
range of opinions from "I just pile it on thick straight from the mower and
it's fine" through to "any layer of grass clippings will go smelly and block
oxygen/water from your plants, kill them etc" So I guess moderation is
best. What I'm going to do is mix the clippings with shredded conifer
branches to help the keep the structure open and airy.

Sam

Lawn Clippings as Mulch Tom or Mary Gardening 4 19-05-2005 02:21 PM
Grass clippings John DeBoo Gardening 9 15-08-2003 06:07 AM
Leave grass clippings on site? (not composting this year) pgh Gardening 3 17-04-2003 01:32 PM
Grass Clippings Paul Smart Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Grass Clippings Paul Smart Australia 7 29-03-2003 04:32 PM