Old 18-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Moo

Default Can anyone identify these plants?

I have two plants in my garden coming up and I'm not sure what they are.

The first one is not a problem as it is small and looks quite nice, it has
very small white flowers.

http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image108.jpg.bmp

http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image109.jpg.bmp

The second one is a bit more of a problem! It is popping up everywhere and
if left it quickly grows to 2ft-3ft plus! They are easy to remove as they
are not deeply rooted but what are they? Are they a weed or just a quick
growing plant?

http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image110.jpg.bmp

http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image111.jpg.bmp

I have left the last plants in place as they are currently sheltering a baby
blackbird who fell into the garden, he seems happy enough and is growing
well!

Oh not too sure why but the software that downloads pictures from my phone
gave the piccys a .jpg.bmp extension but they work ok, didn't notice until I
uploaded then already!

Thanks!

Moo

Old 18-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:19:02 +0100, "Moo"
wrote:

The first one is not a problem as it is small and looks quite nice, it has
very small white flowers.

If it is what it looks like to my imperfect eyes, it IS a big problem
if you don't get rid of it quickly. It looks like hairy bitter cress
which is pretty, edible, and popsits seeds all over everywhere. Try
to pull them out as soon as you see the flowers, before the seed sets.

No 2 could be shepherds purse; if so, also needs getting rid of.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-05-2004, 10:10 PM
David Hill

I agree Pam the first http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image108.jpg.bmp
is certainly bittercress, and by now it has probably started to shed its
seed.
The second one http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image110.jpg.bmp
is probably a form of Willow Herb, very nice flowers but has seeds that blow
around and get everywhere, also spreads by underground runners, the sooner
it's pulled out the better, before the runners develop.
Pity the pics take so long to open.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:21:14 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

The second one http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image110.jpg.bmp
is probably a form of Willow Herb,

Oops! I didn't scroll down to the other links. Saw 2 links and
thought it was 2 plants. Blame these D****d eyes.
I bow to David's superior knowledge!

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

The first one is not a problem as it is small and looks quite nice, it has
very small white flowers.

If it is what it looks like to my imperfect eyes, it IS a big problem
if you don't get rid of it quickly. It looks like hairy bitter cress
which is pretty, edible, and popsits seeds all over everywhere. Try
to pull them out as soon as you see the flowers, before the seed sets.

No 2 could be shepherds purse; if so, also needs getting rid of.

I'd go with hairy bitter cress or similar for the first. The second pair
of pictures look like one of the willowherbs - not rose bay because that
has shine leaves, but perhaps Great willowherb. Pretty, but a pain to
get rid of when you've got too much of it, and your neighbours won't
thank you for letting it seed.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 19-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Paul D.Smith

FYI,

Your pictures are BMP (bitmap) files. You probably tried to name the file
"noddy.jpg" expecting to get a JPEG file but your software was set to "save
as bitmap" so appended the ".bmp" to indicate "I've saved as a bitmap".

This also explains the large file sizes. Bitmaps are relatively large
whereas JPEGs use lossy compression to greatly reduce the size of some
pictures. Don't worry about the "lossy" bit - for most pictures it makes no
noticeable difference.

So next time you use "Save As", look around for an option, typically a drop
down list, that selects the file time, just enter "noddy" for the filename
and let the software append the appropriate file extension, which should end
up as ".jpg". If it doesn't, you saved as a different format (such as
Bitmap).

If you get stuck, let me know the application type and I'll help if I can
quickly.

Regards,
Paul DS.

Old 19-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Chris

:
: The first one is not a problem as it is small and looks quite nice, it has
: very small white flowers.
:
: http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image108.jpg.bmp
:
: http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image109.jpg.bmp

I'll go for Watercress on the first, 5 to 10 flowers, likes water

:
: The second one is a bit more of a problem! It is popping up everywhere
and
: if left it quickly grows to 2ft-3ft plus! They are easy to remove as they
: are not deeply rooted but what are they? Are they a weed or just a quick
: growing plant?
:
: http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image110.jpg.bmp
:
: http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image111.jpg.bmp
:

Willowherb on the second, not sure which one.

Old 19-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Chris
writes

"Moo" wrote in message
: I have two plants in my garden coming up and I'm not sure what they are.
:
: The first one is not a problem as it is small and looks quite nice, it has
: very small white flowers.
:
: http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image108.jpg.bmp
:
: http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image109.jpg.bmp

I'll go for Watercress on the first, 5 to 10 flowers, likes water

No - leaves too finely cut, and *far* too small - you can see the
primrose leaves just in front of it.

:
: http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image110.jpg.bmp
:
: http://www.roonster.fsnet.co.uk/Image111.jpg.bmp
:

Willowherb on the second, not sure which one.

Yes, I'm with you on that one :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: