Old 19-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Richard

Default Garden pond plans

Any good plans online for buliding a nice garden pond?

Old 19-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Janet Bennett

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/desig...nd/pond1.shtml
Take a look at the above site, may give you some inspiration

Old 19-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Bob Hobden

"Richard" asked
Any good plans online for buliding a nice garden pond?

"Janet Bennett" replied in message

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/desig...nd/pond1.shtml
Take a look at the above site, may give you some inspiration

Not a bad site, doesn't go into too much depth on the subject, but one very
important thing it doesn't mention is when filling your pond use a water
meter to ascertain the actual volume of your pond. You will need that
information if ever you have to use chemicals in your pond, fish cures,
tonic salt, water treatments etc.
If you haven't got a water meter then turn your hose onto full and time how
long it takes to fill a 2 gallon bucket (checked first to see it is), then
time the filling of your pond, divide that by the first time and double for
the gallonage.

You also need to think hard now about how you intend to hide the edges of
the liner on completion. Stones, bricks, granite sets, all look nicer than
black plastic/EPDM/Butyl. The liner needs to come up to the "brick" layer
and then go flat under the "brick" just below water level and up the back
edge so the "brick" sits in the top of the water and no liner is seen.
Alternatively just pave up to and slightly over the edge.

Some other sources of Information...
http://www.internetgardens.com/
http://www.karlbaker.freeserve.co.uk/
--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 19-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:58:36 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

Any good plans online for buliding a nice garden pond?

Richard, not plans as such but you may find how we did our pond of
interest to you:
http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk/pond.html

It may at least give you some ideas.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Email is sallydogthompsonatbtinternetdogcom, replacing dog with dot
Old 19-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Tumbleweed

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Richard" asked
Any good plans online for buliding a nice garden pond?

"Janet Bennett" replied in message

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/desig...nd/pond1.shtml
Take a look at the above site, may give you some inspiration

Not a bad site, doesn't go into too much depth on the subject,

LOL :-)

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 20-05-2004, 01:10 PM
nick gray

"Richard" wrote in message
Any good plans online for buliding a nice garden pond?

Hi Richard,

It takes a while to load but Tetra have a virtual pond creator on their site
which seems pretty good, it even creates a shopping list (including plants
and number of fish) after going through the online design process.

http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/flashpond/main.html

There is also more detailed information (planning, positioning etc...) of
how to construct the pond he

http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetrapond/home/index.asp

You could also have a look at the Hozelock site where they have a 'How to
build your first pond':

http://www.hozelock.com/aquatics/home.asp?region=ROW

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 21-05-2004, 02:17 AM
Curlytail

I have been considering turfing upto the edge of my pond but how do you stop
the grass clippings going in the pond when you are cutting it?
Dave

Old 21-05-2004, 09:07 AM

In article xodrc.308$Aw2.105@newsfe1-win, Curlytail
writes
I have been considering turfing upto the edge of my pond but how do you stop
the grass clippings going in the pond when you are cutting it?
Dave

I don't, I just skim the surface with a net afterwards but I would be
interested if anyone has a bright idea to prevent it, with a bit of
careful mowing I minimise the effect but the strimmer throws stuff in
all directions. I thought about trying a net across the pond which
should catch most of the clippings but haven't got a roundtuit yet.
--
David
Old 26-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Janet Bennett

Hope you don't think I'm poking my nose in, but I would suggest that on one
side you have a very gentle slope into the water, with pebbles coverning the
lining (the frogs will then be able to get in and out of the pond).

You can also incorporate a bog garden where the water overflows.

Another idea I saw in a book was to put a small bridge
over the the shallow end, (made out of pieces of decking, nothing fancy.
To one side of this was an area of large stones, where there was a small bog
area, this than spread out into another area of pebbles, where hostas and
candlebra primulas were growing.

Hope this gives you some inspiration.

"Richard" wrote in message
Any good plans online for buliding a nice garden pond?

Plans for my small pond Gill Passman Ponds 11 14-02-2007 05:20 PM
koi pond plans in uk SkyCatcher Ponds 6 30-04-2006 01:02 PM
New pond plans Derek Broughton Ponds 8 27-05-2005 01:41 PM
big pond, initial plans... a picture RainLover Ponds 7 15-06-2004 05:06 PM
Shareholders Pond; Weekend Plans BenignVanilla Ponds 2 17-08-2003 01:07 AM